Wordsmith.org
Posted By: dalehileman The "[Q.....]" function - 12/24/09 12:47 AM
If you never have to deal with it, then by all means don't read the following as it can only depress you. If however you use it a lot but it drives you to distraction as it does me, or if you have that elusive easy fix, do please read on

I have to apologize to tsu for the appearance my last post to Admin Need Help as the function has been my downfall; while apologizing for my confusion over the quote function, envying very much tsu's mastery of the Digital World

I realize the easy way to use the Quote icon is leave his thread whole within the single big hazy blue block, placing your entire answer or comments in the void below it. But then it may not be clear to which of his points each of your comments applies. So in many cases you will want to intersperse them accordingly amongst his

It's fairly easy though somewhat slow situating them within the box between his paras or points but in the original haze. There many readers will miss them, skipping to only what's below. What you wish for therefore, is to place yours in the same relation to his but yours outside the haze

While I realize it can be done by the expert exercising faultless precision at every step, each attempt I have so made has left me with an error message and so I quit trying. To do it right would require not 21 but probably 210 keystrokes, all correct and in precise order

In fact I remember a thread somewhere describing in some genuine detail how you can manipulate the [/Q....]'s within text to gain many different effects, including of course your desire to ensure you're still in stark contrast. However it took him some 3 pages of an estimated 3000 words, leaving me to speculate that he might be exercising a little facetiousness in his otherwise perfectly accurate accounting

First time you make a mistake you will get an error message which however won't tell you how to correct the situation. You may dash your PC to the floor and run screaming from your office

...until finally on FRDB somebody explained that it isn't [b]he[/b] but [b]you[/b] who belongs in the quote boxes (????) and what you have to do is (1) delete every "[/Q.....]" (I can't spell it out for fear of placing this thread in jeopardy requiring another seven hours to correct), then

(2) plough through the entire thread once more, highlighting and identifying your own commnents using the " " " icon. In a large thread this may in fact be much more difficult requiring literally hundreds if not thousands of keystrokes, especially if you have any q's within q's.

In addition it reverses any advantage you had in type size, his now being larger and out in the open where it better commands attention while of course yours is now in the hazy boxes

Mac, Bill, what have you perpetrated

tsu are you up for it or is there any hope at all

Posted By: tsuwm Re: The "[Q.....]" function - 12/24/09 01:25 AM
Originally Posted By: dalehileman
If you never have to deal with it, then by all means don't read the following as it can only depress you. If however you use it a lot but it drives you to distraction as it does me, or if you have that elusive easy fix, do please read on

I have to apologize to tsu for the appearance my last post to Admin Need Help as the function has been my downfall; while apologizing for my confusion over the quote function, envying very much tsu's mastery of the Digital World

I realize the easy way to use the Quote icon is leave his thread whole within the single big hazy blue block, placing your entire answer or comments in the void below it. But then it may not be clear to which of his points each of your comments applies. So in many cases you will want to intersperse them accordingly amongst his

It's fairly easy though somewhat slow situating them within the box between his paras or points but in the original haze. There many readers will miss them, skipping to only what's below. What you wish for therefore, is to place yours in the same relation to his but yours outside the haze

While I realize it can be done by the expert exercising faultless precision at every step, each attempt I have so made has left me with an error message and so I quit trying. To do it right would require not 21 but probably 210 keystrokes, all correct and in precise order

In fact I remember a thread somewhere describing in some genuine detail how you can manipulate the [/Q....]'s within text to gain many different effects, including of course your desire to ensure you're still in stark contrast. However it took him some 3 pages of an estimated 3000 words, leaving me to speculate that he might be exercising a little facetiousness in his otherwise perfectly accurate accounting

First time you make a mistake you will get an error message which however won't tell you how to correct the situation. You may dash your PC to the floor and run screaming from your office

...until finally on FRDB somebody explained that it isn't [b]he[/b] but [b]you[/b] who belongs in the quote boxes (????) and what you have to do is (1) delete every "[/Q.....]" (I can't spell it out for fear of placing this thread in jeopardy requiring another seven hours to correct), then

(2) plough through the entire thread once more, highlighting and identifying your own commnents using the " " " icon. In a large thread this may in fact be much more difficult requiring literally hundreds if not thousands of keystrokes, especially if you have any q's within q's.

In addition it reverses any advantage you had in type size, his now being larger and out in the open where it better commands attention while of course yours is now in the hazy boxes

Mac, Bill, what have you perpetrated

tsu are you up for it or is there any hope at all
[EA]

dal, none whatsoever.
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: The "[Q.....]" function - 12/24/09 12:50 PM
dale, the trick is to copy the [ quote] and then paste that where-ever you want to start a new response and then follow up with copy/pasting the [ /quote]. or vice-versa, depending on the way you work.
Posted By: Faldage Re: The "[Q.....]" function - 12/24/09 12:53 PM
You could always set up a SqBquote=dalehSqB SqB/quoteSqB (where SqB ... SqB is the opening and closing square brackets), copy and paste that in wherever you want to make a comment, and put your comment between the first closing square bracket and the second opening square bracket, but I suppose that would be too many keystrokes.

Edit: Pipped by Buffy, but then my method, while possibly harder to set up, is easier to follow through with.
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: The "[Q.....]" function - 12/24/09 12:54 PM
oh, this should be good...
Posted By: tsuwm Re: The "[Q.....]" function - 12/24/09 02:18 PM
Originally Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu

or not, depending on your def'n of good.
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: The "[Q.....]" function - 12/24/09 02:43 PM
Originally Posted By: tsuwm
Originally Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu

or not, depending on your def'n of good.

good point.
Posted By: dalehileman Re: The "[Q.....]" function - 12/24/09 07:42 PM
Buff thanks, that's the way I had been doing it. However once you inadvertently misplace a [/Q....] you get an error message which upon your return to the post doesn't identify it. So unless you remember exactly which one it was, you have to delete then replace each, one at a time--there might be dozens or even scores of them--before you find the delinquent, a process that can take hours because each such check requires first deleting, then refreshing, then replacing. In the process however, you might again forget the right location for one you're replacing, requiring you to delete the entire post, return to edit the original, and start again from scratch, thank you Mac and Bill

Fal thank you most kindly for that hint but I was hoping for something easier. At my advanced age when each succeeding day becomes proportionally more valuable, I hate to spend the entire morning fielding thousands if not tens of thousands of superfluous keystrokes

Guys once more I'm grateful to all of you especially for your dauntless patience, but evidently what I had hoped for can't be easily done and since this very process of inquiry is eating up not only my time but yours, which is no doubt more valuable, let us capitulate
Posted By: tsuwm Re: The "[Q.....]" function - 12/24/09 08:51 PM
Originally Posted By: dal
Buff thanks, that's the way I had been doing it. However once you inadvertently misplace a [/Q....] you get an error message which upon your return to the post doesn't identify it. So unless you remember exactly which one it was, you have to delete then replace each, one at a time--there might be dozens or even scores of them--before you find the delinquent, a process that can take hours because each such check requires first deleting, then refreshing, then replacing. In the process however, you might again forget the right location for one you're replacing, requiring you to delete the entire post, return to edit the original, and start again from scratch, thank you Mac and Bill

there's another way to do this (isn't there always?)

Fal thank you most kindly for that hint but I was hoping for something easier. At my advanced age when each succeeding day becomes proportionally more valuable, I hate to spend the entire morning fielding thousands if not tens of thousands of superfluous keystrokes

what a lot of superannuated hyperbole. I made this entire post, including all my commentary text, with fewer than 200 keystrokes (and, I might add, all boasting aside, without making any errors).

Guys once more I'm grateful to all of you especially for your dauntless patience, but evidently what I had hoped for can't be easily done and since this very process of inquiry is eating up not only my time but yours, which is no doubt more valuable, let us capitulate

I'll just say, yes, it can. and if you can't guess how I did it, I'll even tell you, in 50 words or fewer.

hint: there's an icon called "Quote some text"
Posted By: dalehileman Re: The "[Q.....]" function - 12/24/09 09:05 PM
Hi tsu, yes I've used it extensively but without signal success. Likely I'm missing some vital detail in its manipulation
Posted By: tsuwm Re: The "[Q.....]" function - 12/24/09 09:34 PM
Likely I'm missing some vital detail in its manipulation

step one: reply (don't quote!)
step two: copy and paste message from "In response to" block
step three: highlite the text you want to reply to and click " button (you should delete any previous text that you didn't quote highlite)
step four: (optional) change {quote} header to {quote=dal*}
step five: insert your comments after {/quote}
repeat as required...

*or whomever you're quoting!!
Posted By: dalehileman Re: The "[Q.....]" function - 12/25/09 05:04 PM
Poster: tsuwm
Subject: Re: The "[Q.....]" function

Likely I'm missing some vital detail in its manipulation

Quote:
step one: reply (don't quote!)
step two: copy and paste message from "In response to" block

tsu that's a neat trick. Until today I wasn't even aware of the 'in response to' block

Quote:
Quote:
step three: highlite the text you want to reply to and click " button (you should delete any previous text that you didn't quote highlite)
step four: (optional) change {quote} header to {quote=dal*}

If it's optional I'll skip it, anything that simplifies the process

Quote:
step five: insert your comments after {/quote}
repeat as required...

*or whomever you're quoting!!

Well let's see how it worked

Wow! now I get it in spite of my various senior moments which have so hampered my progress in these matters

When I read your post #188458 my immediate reaction was, why hell that's the way I always used to do it, entailing copy-paste of the original. Trouble was, of course, that approach deprived me of the editing icons so that I had to enter each quotation mark manually

...whereas with your stratagem above they're so readily evoked. Again thank you for your aid and prodigious forbearance
© Wordsmith.org