Wordsmith.org
Posted By: dalehileman Not Authorized - 07/13/07 04:05 PM
A 15-17 word phrase appears in news stories more and more frequently as sensitive or classified information is increasingly leaked to the press. We see it thrice in Civilians told to arm themselves AP circa July 9:

“...said on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to release the information,”

“...spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to talk to the media,” and

“...said on condition of anonymity because they were not supposed to release the information”

What a waste of the newspapers’ resources. Therefore I propose replacing the entire phrase with, for instance, the acronym ROCOANA, or “Revealed On Condition Of Anonymity because Not Authorized.” I estimate that every day in the U.S. this would save the wood for newsprint from four medium-size trees and 438 gallons of printing ink
Posted By: Maven Re: Not Authorized - 07/13/07 05:59 PM
To me, it speaks of a growing mistrust of the government to release the pertinent information as well as identifying employees that do not value their jobs. Either the information really is classified for a valid security reason and the employee SHOULD be fired for releasing it, or it's being classified improperly to cover something up and the government should be investigated. Maybe both--but either way, it's a slippery slope.
Posted By: of troy Re: Not Authorized - 07/14/07 03:12 AM
Propose a way.
Posted By: Jackie Re: Not Authorized - 07/16/07 03:08 PM
ROCOANA
Posted By: TheFallibleFiend Re: Not Authorized - 07/16/07 07:32 PM
Or it is being classified unthinkingly ... that happens a LOT.
© Wordsmith.org