Wordsmith.org
Posted By: dalehileman Abbr - 12/20/06 05:41 PM
Over the years I have been roundly criticized and dragged over the proverbial hotspot for one reason or another--even threatened with banishment--and pursuant to new years' resolution would like very much to improve myself

In few if any such cases, however, has anyone offered a concrete example. For instance I endeavor to use only standard abbrs (with only a few exceptions, including de- and pre-, which are pretty obvious in our environment)

And I cannot offhand remember any others that might qualify. Please don't make it a project, but if you can recall any off the top of your head, I thank you most profusely

(In some cases, however, if I don't then quit using the abbr, it's not because I don't appreciate your input but because I judge that almost any English-speaker using a board such as this should recognize it, eg, "abbr")
Posted By: Aramis Re: Aggr. - 12/20/06 06:10 PM
Abbreviations were invented to save space. They are only a blight on an unlimited-string bulletin board that word-wraps text. Here is an excerpt from an obscure, unpublished work:

Once I actually received a note with at least this ________________________ much space at the end of a typed line: “...next one scheduled for 4-6 Jun 02 at...” Well, is not the whole reason for abbreviation to save space? Certainly it does not read better. But the writer could not wedge in one more letter and two numbers? Maybe the only reason we have not converted to all three-letter months is no one could figure out how to say “Apr”. I swear I used to see a signature portion of an official letter form, with plenty of space that abbreviated ‘Chief’ as ‘Chf.’, because five letters must have been too many. Egd.!
The abbreviation thing also seems to have evolved into a ‘lazy typist’ trend. I did not enjoy typing class in school but it certainly was one of the most useful things I ever learned. But in this age of technology, a modern computer keyboard seems to make it harder for some of us to type in much the same way as power steering makes it more difficult to drive.

It rambles on some more but you get the idea. Actually that last bit you posted was not so bad. Just a thought: Some word processors can be customized to replace text on the fly, e.g. dumping out 'abbreviation' from typing 'abb '.
Posted By: Faldage Re: Aggr. - 12/21/06 01:37 AM
I can say Apr.
Posted By: 251413913519 Re: Aggr. - 12/21/06 09:01 AM
Abbreviations reduce the number of letters used to express words, yes, but often require a greater computational labour to interpret. Since in cyberspace letters have no intrinsic mass, nothing is really being wasted by avoiding uncommon abbreviations, whereas the caloric energy consumed by the brain to interpret "Apr" instead of the instant, sight reading of "April" is counterproductive if your intentions are generally in the way of preventing waste, rather than simply trying to give your writing a specious look of originality. No?
Posted By: Faldage Re: Aggr. - 12/21/06 11:14 AM
Jan
Feb
Mar
Apr
May
Jun
Jul
Aug
Sep
Oct
Nov
Dec

So common as to be unnoteworthy in this part of the English speaking world, as are

Sun
Mon
Tue
Wed
Thu
Fri
Sat

No thought needed atall to interpret. Saves keystrokes, too.
Posted By: wsieber Re: Abbr - 12/21/06 12:15 PM
My recipe: condensing your thoughts before you start writing obviates the necessity for abbreviations.
Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: Abbr - 12/21/06 12:50 PM
Quote:

My recipe: condensing your thoughts before you start writing obviates the necessity for abbreviations.

Ain't it the truth.
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: Abbr - 12/21/06 01:10 PM
abbreviations are fine, as long as those involved in using them (writing and reading) have a common understanding. dale's use of pre was not understood my some, so we just need to think about the possibilities of our audience.
Posted By: dalehileman Re: Abbr - 12/21/06 04:29 PM
eta: I will take that under advisement as basis for a possible newyears' resolution
Posted By: Aramis Re: Specious - 12/21/06 07:33 PM
Now there is an entry for Word of the Year, deftly wielded. Thanks for the reminder of it.
Posted By: dalehileman Re: Specious - 12/22/06 03:54 PM
I would remind the pre's among us that much if not most IM is written almost entirely in abbrs, which IMO seem to be handled with much aplomb and thus can't considered overly taxing
Posted By: snoot Re: Specious - 12/22/06 04:05 PM
The rise of real-time text communication, known as instant messaging or IM for short, has unleashed a torrent of typing amongst teens, co-workers and colleagues. But with so many people tapping out text in so many different ways, technology has created an electronic Tower of Babel, where miscommunication and frustration are common currencies.
Posted By: dalehileman Re: Specious - 12/22/06 04:38 PM
snoot: Well put, and by the way welcome

However, I'll bet that's what a lot of the pre-'s said about "drive" when it came to mean "semiconductor memory chip often carried on keychain"
Posted By: Hydra Re: Specious - 12/23/06 09:44 AM
Quote:

However, I'll bet that's what a lot of the pre-'s said about "drive" when it came to mean "semiconductor memory chip often carried on keychain"

I know I'm late to this party, but, what does "pre-'s" mean?
Posted By: Faldage Re: Pre- vs. de- - 12/23/06 01:06 PM
Context. Pre- is prescriptivist, de- is descriptivist.
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: Spacials - 12/23/06 01:20 PM
> what does "pre-'s" mean?

lol
Posted By: Hydra Re: Spacials - 12/23/06 01:23 PM
>lol

What's funny?
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: Spacials - 12/23/06 01:34 PM
> What's funny?

the other abbreviation thread...
Posted By: dalehileman Re: Spacials - 12/23/06 04:02 PM
eta: Plural of pre-
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: Spacials - 12/24/06 12:08 PM
> eta: Plural of pre-

I know, 'twas Hydra that asked.
Posted By: dalehileman Re: Spacials - 12/24/06 03:14 PM
Hydra: Forgive me, the apostrophe is a kind of obscure convention sometimes used to demarcate the plural of an abbreviation
Posted By: BranShea Re: Abbrevations. - 12/27/06 06:55 PM
Quote:

Jan
Feb
Mar
Apr
May
Jun
Jul
Aug
Sep
Oct
Nov
Dec

Abbr 's are abhorr's and ennui's and no need to think at all, but also you miss the pleasure of the sound.

April is in my mistress' face
and July in her eyes hath place
within her bosom is September
but in her heart, her heart a cold December

(Thomas Morley, 1558-1603 (madrigal)
Posted By: Faldage Re: Abbrevations. - 12/27/06 11:03 PM
Quote:

... you miss the pleasure of the sound.

If you like, you could pronounce Apr April, Jul July, Sep September, and Dec December. It's just a spelling convention after all.
Posted By: themilum Re: Abbrevations. - 12/28/06 12:31 AM
Quote:

Quote:

... you miss the pleasure of the sound.

If you like, you could pronounce Apr April, Jul July, Sep September, and Dec December. It's just a spelling convention after all.

Wait, don't laugh. Maybe Faldage is on to something.

Let's try it...

Ah, distinctly I remember it was in the bleak Dec,
And each separate dying ember wrought its ghost upon the floor.
Eagerly I wished the morrow; - vainly I had sought to borrow
From my books surcease of sorrow - sorrow for the lost Lenore -
For the rare and radiant maiden whom the angels named Lenore -
Nameless here for evermore.

Hmm...Ok, go ahead and laugh!
Posted By: Faldage Re: Abbrevations. - 12/28/06 01:35 AM
Quote:

Hmm...Ok, go ahead and laugh!

On the other hand, nobody's forcing you to use abbreviations in a context that you find inappropriate, either.
Posted By: ParkinT Re: Spacials - 12/28/06 05:20 PM
"Pre's" and "Thank you"?
Posted By: BranShea Re: Abbrevations. - 12/28/06 09:33 PM
Quote:

On the other hand, nobody's forcing you to use abbreviations in a context that you find inappropriate, either.

On that hand you are right, we have the freedom not to use them but
less freedom not to read them and worse: many of them I do not understand. Is there an abbr.dict.I could add to my list?
Posted By: Jackie Re: Abbrevations. - 12/29/06 03:05 PM
Branny, see tsuwm's post here.
Posted By: dalehileman Re: Abbrevations. - 12/29/06 04:11 PM
Bran: If I find one in Merriam Collegiate I consider it fair game
Posted By: BranShea Re: Abbrevations. - 12/29/06 04:48 PM
Quote:

Branny, see tsuwm's post here.

Thanks Jackie, I got his post on the Maasai Jumper's thread.
It is very useful information again.
© Wordsmith.org