Wordsmith.org
Posted By: dalehileman Just one more time - 12/01/06 03:56 PM
I apologize to those of us who so object, but I had to pass this one along because it seemed so applicable and appropriate

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=courage+dot+com&defid=2118876
Posted By: Hydra Re: Just one more time - 12/01/06 05:16 PM
I was waiting for someone to come up with a term for the emboldening effect of on-line anonymity, and then the other day I stumbled across this. Don't know if it'll catch on, but I like it—or maybe "masquerade effect"—better than "courage dot com" (with all due respect).

Quote:

The Mardi Gras Effect

American psychologists refer to the ability to hide one’s identity on the Internet as the Mardi Gras phenomenon. Internet users feel they are wearing masks and can act anonymously in the dark and secretive world of cyberspace. [...] [One] may question whether individuals are able to maintain their touch with reality when they continuously pretend to be someone that they are not.

—Dr. Godwin, a forensic consultant, for Web Mystery Magazine, Summer 2005: Volume III, Issue 1.

Posted By: dalehileman Re: Just one more time - 12/01/06 05:50 PM
Hydra, thank you for that as I get precious few hits on UD's expr
Posted By: ParkinT Re: Just one more time - 12/01/06 07:15 PM
I agree that "courage dot com" is too cumbersome for common usage.
The Mardi Gras phenomenon is GREAT!
Posted By: Hydra Re: Just one more time - 12/02/06 09:26 PM
Quote:

Yes, I think it is an apt phrase too. I couldn't think of any better. But isn't it an interesting source that's cited; the way the first half generates an instant aura of credibility (Dr. Godwin, a forensic consultant for...) only to fall flat on its face (Web Mystery Magazine).
Posted By: BranShea Re: Just one more time - 12/03/06 03:10 PM
Quote:

Quote:

Yes, I think it is an apt phrase too. I couldn't think of any better. But isn't it an interesting source that's cited; the way the first half generates an instant aura of credibility (Dr. Godwin, a forensic consultant for...) only to fall flat on its face (Web Mystery Magazine).

Very good.
© Wordsmith.org