Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Father Steve Culinarily speaking - 04/10/06 01:17 AM
MS SpellChecker fails to recognize "culinarily" as an English word. A quick check with Google returns 92,300 hits. One wonders at what point a word has sufficient currency to persuade Bill Gates to put it in his dictionary?
Posted By: Alex Williams Re: Culinarily speaking - 04/10/06 01:23 AM
Oh geez don't get me started on how useless the MS spellcheck is for medical writing.
Posted By: Faldage Re: Culinarily speaking - 04/10/06 09:45 AM
Quote:

MS SpellChecker fails to recognize "culinarily" as an English word. A quick check with Google returns 92,300 hits. One wonders at what point a word has sufficient currency to persuade Bill Gates to put it in his dictionary?

You don't have to wait on Uncle Billy. Right click on that sucker and put it in you own se'f.
Posted By: Father Steve Re: Culinarily speaking - 04/10/06 12:14 PM
Faldo is right. I regularly insert words into the "private dictionary" function on this old coal-fired steam-driven computer of mine. One of my recurrent nightmares is that something will happen to this machine which will cause that file to be lost and I will have to rebuild a "private dictionary" from scratch. So I occasionally find the file (it is way down there in a hidden part of the hard drive) and copy it to a disk as a sort of insurance policy against disaster.
Posted By: Jackie Re: Culinarily speaking - 04/11/06 01:19 AM
One of my recurrent nightmares is that something will happen to this machine which will cause that file to be lost and I will have to rebuild a "private dictionary" from scratch. So I occasionally find the file (it is way down there in a hidden part of the hard drive) and copy it to a disk as a sort of insurance policy against disaster.
You know, in...what--99% of all other boards on the internet?...that would be considered weird.

You could also send a copy of it to your computer at the courthouse, and use it to continue to wow the attorneys.
Posted By: Father Steve Re: Culinarily speaking - 04/11/06 01:32 AM
I once had the goofy idea that someone could make a few dollars by preparing "private dictionary" files for specific professions. I thought of this because I had to load so many legal terms and so many theological terms (and Biblical names) into my own. If one could pick up an inexpensive file which included every word or phrase in Black's Law Dictionary or another which contained all of the words and phrases in, say, a Bible dictionary and a dictionary of theological terms, it would save the recipient a lot of time. That's not weird. That's being practical. (He muttered as they carried him away ...)
Posted By: Alex Williams Re: Culinarily speaking - 04/11/06 01:36 AM
There does exist a medical spellcheck program somewhere out there. There are probably legal ones as well.
Posted By: Faldage Re: Culinarily speaking - 04/11/06 11:27 AM
Quote:

There does exist a medical spellcheck program somewhere out there. There are probably legal ones as well.

Are you suggesting that the medical ones are illegal?

You know they're just text files. They'd take some time to put together but no particular technical abilities. You could hire a law clerk and a proofreader.
Posted By: maverick Re: cooking the books - 04/11/06 11:44 AM
> and a proofreader

In both legal and clerical terms I think FS might count himself a proofreader!
Posted By: Faldage Re: cooking the books - 04/11/06 08:10 PM
Quote:

> and a proofreader

In both legal and clerical terms I think FS might count himself a proofreader!

You should never proof your own work. If FS does the clerk work he shouldn't do the proofing.
Posted By: Alex Williams Re: Culinarily speaking - 04/11/06 09:22 PM
Quote:

Are you suggesting that the medical ones are illegal?

Yes but our economy depends on them.
Posted By: Faldage Re: Culinarily speaking - 04/11/06 09:27 PM
Quote:

… our economy depends on them.

Are we a nation of laws or a nation of economics?
Posted By: AlimaeHP Re: Culinarily speaking - 04/12/06 12:38 AM
Quote:

Are we a nation of laws or a nation of economics?

Both I would think. I mean just look around where I live....hmmm...maybe not...it is all religious zelots here. lol
© Wordsmith.org