Wordsmith.org
Posted By: musick Capital Kangaroo - 07/22/05 06:08 PM
Other than the tousands of searchable/obvious googlifiable® meanings and usage for kangaroo court (The first US citing seems to come from Texas in the mid 19th century (surprise, surprise!)), why pick on kangaroos? Are they such freaks of nature that they warrant such a humiliating adjectification? Or is there some other sinister theory that our freinds from 'up over' can shed light upon?

Posted By: Father Steve Re: Capital Kangaroo - 07/22/05 07:45 PM
Cecil knows:

http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a2_236.html

Posted By: plutarch Drumhead trial - 07/22/05 10:23 PM
"Drumhead trial" means the same thing, musick:

A kangaroo court (also known as a kangaroo trial or a Drumhead trial) is a sham legal proceeding or court, often judged subjectively through the speaker's perspective. It may be a court that has had its integrity compromised, i.e., the impartiality of the judge who refuses to be recused, or an elaborately scripted event intended to appear fair while having the outcome predetermined from the start.

One assumes a "drumhead trial" is a hasty, 'let him plead and then shoot him' caricature of a trial, with a roll of drums preceding the shooting for ceremonial effect.

No doubt, justice was speedy and predetermined to allow the judge and jury to return to more serious business killing the enemy.

Posted By: Jackie Re: Capital Kangaroo - 07/23/05 12:03 AM
Ha--this is great! From Fa. Steve's link:
This usage derived from the supposed fact that when kangaroos see a man for the first time they typically stop dead and eyeball him for five minutes, then suddenly turn and scoot. The practice of staring idiotically into space for long periods followed by a rash and inexplicable jump to conclusions was thought to closely resemble the behavior of a jury or judicial panel, hence kangaroo court.

musick, I first took your title to be a summons (heh) for Capital Kiwi.

Posted By: Father Steve Re: Capital Kangaroo - 07/23/05 05:28 AM
I have been known to be staring idiotically into space for long periods whilst sitting on the bench and I pray that this does not reduce my court to kangaroo status.

Posted By: Faldage Re: Capital Kangaroo - 07/23/05 06:46 AM
reduce my court to kangaroo status

Long's you don't suddenly turn and scoot.

Posted By: Elizabeth Creith Re: Capital Kangaroo - 07/25/05 12:14 PM
Or jump to conclusions......

Posted By: musick Re: Capital Kangaroo - 07/25/05 04:07 PM
...and I pray that this does not reduce my court to kangaroo status.

A leap of faith?

Posted By: Capfka Re: Capital Kangaroo - 07/26/05 09:57 PM
Or spring to someone's defence ...

© Wordsmith.org