Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Wordwind To Wall - 01/24/05 02:12 PM
Here's a passage from a McCullers' novel in which the use of the verb 'to wall' confounds me:

[Describing a flying-jinny or merry-go-round horse]"The horse nearest Jake had a splintery wooden crack in its dingy rump and the eyes walled blind and frantic, shreds of paint peeled from the sockets" (McCullers Chap. 4).

Posted By: Jackie Re: To Wall - 01/24/05 02:21 PM
Back and forth; sideways. Wall-eyed. From M-W online:Main Entry: 3wall
Function: verb
Etymology: Middle English (Sc) wawlen, probably from Middle English wawil- (in wawil-eghed walleyed)
intransitive senses, of the eyes : to roll in a dramatic manner
transitive senses : to roll (one's eyes) in a dramatic manner

Posted By: Wordwind Re: To Wall - 01/24/05 02:27 PM
Thanks, Jackie. I had thought it was probably related to 'wall-eyed' but the source I tried, AHD online, didn't include the definition you cite as a possibility. Should have tried M-W. Wonder whether the same definition is in my 3D AHD.

Edit: Nope. My hardback AHD doesn't include the defintion. As many recalcitrant students as I've witnessed 'walling their eyes' or just 'walling' (vi.), I would think that the expression would have been picked up by AHD, too.
Posted By: Jackie Re: To Wall - 01/24/05 02:31 PM
I figured you would. Using wall as a verb is kind of old-fashioned; I can remember my father and uncles using it thusly, but I wouldn't.

Posted By: TEd Remington Re: To Wall - 01/25/05 06:01 PM
A good knight

© Wordsmith.org