Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Bingley 2B or not to be or to not be - 09/18/03 07:43 AM
This came up at work today.

We agree not to refer to OR We agree to not refer to.

I think they are different but I can't quite put my finger on what the difference in meaning is.

Bingley
Posted By: Faldage Re: 2B or not to be or to not be - 09/18/03 10:40 AM
I've seen better examples. This one is a little hard to wrap around and the split infinitive sounds wrong. Dub Dub' aside, split infinitives should have a reason for being, either to avoid ambiguity or to avoid awkwardness. I can't think of a good example just right now but I'm sure something will come up.

Posted By: Jackie Re: 2B or not to be or to not be - 09/18/03 01:20 PM
The second one is more emphatic; more specific; more active. It takes more effort (specificity) to decide to not do something than it does to decide not to do it.

Posted By: maverick Re: 2B or not to be or to not be - 09/18/03 10:17 PM

We agree not to refer to OR We agree to not refer to.

[…] the difference in meaning

For me, they are different because there is a sort of ghost-parsing or an echo of archaic usage in the first example: it could break down into
> We [agree not] [to refer] [to x]
which would render the meaning as “we don’t agree to refer to x”, in contrast to the clear and certain meaning of the second example (“we {positively} agree to not refer to x”)

English word order tends to prioritise important information to the head of the sentence. When you encounter a negative word in third place, the brain is trying to apply it to the preceding statement, hence leading to ambiguity.

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: 2B or not to be or to not be - 09/18/03 10:26 PM
By agreement, we choose to refer not.

Posted By: sjmaxq Re: 2B or not to be or to not be - 09/18/03 10:52 PM
>hence leading to ambiguity.

Ambiguity - the Devil's volleyball.

wnsftd.

Posted By: Capfka Re: 2B or not to be or to not be - 09/21/03 05:22 AM
Frankly, I don't think there's a meaningful difference between the two approaches. The only difference is in the eye of the beholder. I would read them both as being the same.

© Wordsmith.org