Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Faldage Pulling a Faldage - 08/27/03 06:46 PM
On another forum, the phrase "pull a (insert name here)" was used, meaning act in a manner normally associated with (inserted name). It was pointed out that this phrase in UKn has certain unsavory connotations. How would one say what was meant without bringing up these unfortunate images in the mind of the UKn reader? And still remaining appropriately colloquial

Posted By: consuelo Re: Pulling a Faldage - 08/28/03 03:53 AM
Good question. Let me see if I can set off a really interesting reaction in the UK contingent.

If you bite off more than you can chew, the probability of pulling it off diminishes.*hehheh*

Posted By: Faldage Re: Pulling a Faldage - 08/28/03 09:55 AM
From what mav said in the other pull thread it sounds like the UKn racy usage is intransitive. Anyone care to comment on that?

Posted By: wwh Re: Pulling a Faldage - 08/28/03 12:56 PM
My dictionary gives as definition 6:
[Colloq.] to put into effect; carry out; perform !to pull a raid"

Posted By: tsuwm Re: Pulling a Faldage - 08/28/03 01:22 PM
Macquarie seems to fully cover pull from a UK perspective:
http://www.macquariedictionary.com.au/p/dictionary/slang-p.html

Posted By: Faldage Re: Pulling a Faldage - 08/28/03 01:50 PM
macquarie

I guess it's not intransitive.

Posted By: Capfka Re: Pulling a Faldage - 09/01/03 06:31 PM
You normally only hear "pull [something] off" or "pull off [something]". If I bowled three batsmen out in one innings (fat chance), I'd say that "I'd pulled off a hattrick".

"Pulling" is also used without the "off". Usually it's a "fast one", i.e. you have succeeded in beating someone at or to something, usually with an element of slyness. So, if I distract someone while I snaffle the last bagle, I'd say "I'd pulled a fast one over [someone]".

You don't usually hear any other usage. Leastways, not in the restricted circles I rotate in ...

Posted By: Bingley Re: Pulling a Faldage - 09/02/03 04:06 AM
The particular introduction of Mrs. Griffiths to Miss Diana Parker secured them immediately an acquaintance with the Trafalgar House family and with the Denhams; and the Miss Beauforts were soon satisfied with "the circle in which they moved in Sanditon," to use a proper phrase, for everybody must now "move in a circle" -- to the prevalence of which rotatory motion is perhaps to be attributed the giddiness and false steps of many.

Jane Austen, "Sanditon" Chapter 10.

Bingley
© Wordsmith.org