Wordsmith.org
Posted By: rav favour honour and some others - 04/25/03 12:05 PM
when i want to say in sarcastic way that one did me a bad turn i say (in free translation) "what a favour/honous has kicked me!" is there something like that in english?

Posted By: Faldage Re: favour honour and some others - 04/25/03 12:14 PM
We might say something like (assuming this bad turn was done by a friend), "With friends like you, who needs enemies?"

Or, sometimes, again sarcastically, "Thanks a lot. I love you, too."

Posted By: wwh Re: favour honour and some others - 04/25/03 12:54 PM
Dear rav: There are fair weather friends who shun you when you need help. "We asked for
bread, they gave us stones." Incidentally, honours are not be be had for the asking.

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: favour honour and some others - 04/25/03 01:46 PM
Or:

"Thanks for nothing!"

Posted By: Capfka Re: favour honour and some others - 04/25/03 02:28 PM
I rather like "F*ck you very much!"

Posted By: Father Steve Stone Bread - 04/26/03 08:07 PM
Possible sources for the quotation offered by WWH:

"Or what man is there of you, whom if his son ask bread, will he give him a stone?" Matthew 7:9 (AV)

"If a son shall ask bread of any of you that is a father, will he give him a stone?" Luke 11:11a (AV)

Posted By: Father Steve Lack of sources - 04/26/03 08:08 PM
There IS no biblical citation which might be the source of the quotation offered by Capfka.

Posted By: of troy Re: Lack of sources - 04/26/03 09:58 PM
Yes, Father, but as we irish alway say, there no sin in a bit of cursing, sure, even God himself told the devil to go to hell!

Posted By: Capfka Re: Lack of sources - 04/27/03 07:29 AM
There IS no biblical citation which might be the source of the quotation offered by Capfka.

I have to agree with you, padre, but I'm willing to bet a lot of money that there were similar expressions (in meaning, if not form) in Aramaic and Hebrew ...

© Wordsmith.org