Wordsmith.org
Posted By: wentworth what is the word (or phrase) for this: - 01/21/03 05:27 PM
I am writing a poem, and need to know the authentic scientific phrase to express the optical effect that makes objects seen up close appear to double, as in the little sausage that appears when you hold your index fingers about an inch apart, an inch or so in front of your eyes. I have been using the term 'binocular parallax' because that is what I thought I remembered from Physics, but can no longer find reference to it, and have no confidence that is right. Upon learning the correct phrase, I'll post the poem (it's not long). Thanks.

davy jones
Total conjecture on my part.

I'm not sure of the term you want. If you have two eye points located in different places (one on each side of a nose, for example), there will be binocular parallax (slight difference in image) to provide depth perception. This binocular parallax might cause the optical illusion you refer to (among others), but I suspect it's not the term for the illusion.

It's probably the same effect that makes an autostereogram work.

When I say "cause" in these cases, I'm talking about proximate cause. The actual illusion in each case is caused by some processing on the disparate images in the brain.

k

Posted By: dxb Re: what is the word (or phrase) for this: - 01/21/03 05:51 PM
I think FF is right about the autostereogram and according to this url it is just called parallax vision.

http:// http://www.dimensional.com/~randl/arjuna.htm

Posted By: wwh Re: what is the word (or phrase) for this: - 01/21/03 06:27 PM
When a finger is held too close for images to be fused, diplopia results.

Posted By: musick Diplopia - 01/21/03 06:47 PM
What a sweet word.

Posted By: wwh Re: Diplopia - 01/21/03 06:51 PM
I dunno, musick. It sounds to me like excrement hitting the pot.

Posted By: musick Re: Diplopia - 01/21/03 06:58 PM
'Sweet' in the rhythmic sense...

Posted By: consuelo Re: Diplopia - 01/22/03 12:33 AM
Yeah. The Ps give it a nice syncopation while the vowels move it along.

Posted By: modestgoddess Re: Diplopia - 01/23/03 08:38 PM
The Ps give it a nice syncopation while the vowels move it along.

whereas, in Bill's reading of it, the P gives it a nice syncopation while the bowels move it along.

Posted By: dxb Re: Diplopia - 01/24/03 08:06 AM
while the bowels move it along.

Oh Gawd!

Posted By: consuelo Re: Diplopia - 01/24/03 11:23 AM
In Spanish, the b and v sounds are so similar that many people misspell words that include them. [looking out the window, whistling-e]

Posted By: dxb Re: Diplopia - 01/24/03 11:32 AM
Umm. Cerveza springs to mind - but then it would wouldn't it.

Posted By: Faldage Re: Diplopia - 01/24/03 11:54 AM
In Spanish, the b and v sounds are so similar

¿Is that a B like in Victor or a B like in Habana?

Posted By: wofahulicodoc buttering them up - 01/24/03 02:59 PM

¿Is that a B like in Victor or a B like in Habana?

The distinction is sufficiently hard to hear that there a standard phrase - "¿B de Burro, or V de Vaca?" - to help differentiate.

Posted By: JohnHawaii Re: buttering them up - 01/24/03 11:31 PM
Interesting to note that the Cyrillic letter "B" is pronounced as "v". Must drive them loco in Cuba.

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Havana, Schmabana - 01/24/03 11:48 PM

The distinction is sufficiently hard to hear that here a standard phrase - "¿B Burro, or V de Vaca?"

Like Faldage said: ¿Is that a B like in Victor or a B like in Habana?

What's Espanish for 'chopped liver'?
Posted By: Bean Re: buttering them up - 01/25/03 07:14 PM
In Sardinian there does not appear to be a "v" sound, and all occasions of "v" have been replaced with "b". For example, "venti" in Italian means 20, and this is "binti" in Sardinian. And so on.

Posted By: consuelo Re: Havana, Schmabana - 01/25/03 08:38 PM
In reply to:

What's Espanish for 'chopped liver'?

Paté........

Bueno. Hígado picado.

It's not so much that the b and v are interchangeable, the v most often sounds like b, although there are also instances in which the b sounds more like v, ie bacha. Vaca, incidently, is one of the words most likely to be spelled "baca".

Posted By: AnnaStrophic B & V - 01/25/03 08:56 PM
In fact, that sound is my favorite phoneme, just for its name: 'bilabial fricative.' (...which can be extended, by those who are wont, to describe a Bronx cheer...)

Posted By: wwh Re: B & V - 01/25/03 09:22 PM
Then there is the gentle bilabial fricative that is a prelude to romance.

© Wordsmith.org