Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Faldage Dites "fromage" - 11/11/02 03:02 PM
Some time ago we had the question of the origin of the words fromage (Fr.) and formaggio (It.).

I stumbled across this dictionary http://www.geocities.com/etymonline/ which gives us the Midlle Latin formaticum in its entry for cheese.

Posted By: wwh Re: Dites "fromage" - 11/11/02 04:49 PM
Maitre corbeau sur un arbre perché
Tenait en son bec un fromage......

Etymology: the word cheese derives from the Latin "caseus", meaning a wicker basket in which the cheese was left to drain. The Greek equivalent, "formos", has given us Fromage, the French word for cheese.
http://www.france.net.nz/gastronomy/food/cheese.htm

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: Dites "fromage" - 11/11/02 04:57 PM
Dites "fromage"

hehehe... I just now got it.

Posted By: wwh Re: Dites "fromage" - 11/11/02 05:28 PM
Did you get your picture taken?

Posted By: sjm Re: Dites "fromage" - 11/11/02 06:12 PM
Dites "fromage"

hehehe... I just now got it.

D'Oh! Me too. I thought notre RdPdT was making an arcane joke, comparing formaticum/fromage to shibboleth/sibboleth - I guess my mind's just too highly trained. thanks Douglas

Posted By: Faldage Re: Dites "fromage" - 11/11/02 07:07 PM
I saw that same formos one, wondered why they used an f and discounted it for some other reason. I'll look formos (or phormos) up in my Greek dictionary when I get home. No reason the Latin couldn't have come from the Greek but words of that sort didn't normally change gender in the process. The geocities site traces cheese back through Latin to I.E. base *kwat- "to ferment, become sour." AHD doesn't list kwat- in its list of IE roots.

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: Dites "fromage" - 11/11/02 09:15 PM
I guess my mind's just too highly trained. thanks Douglas

Lonely at the "top," ain't it... (hey, how'd you get your letters to go small without HTML? Did you intentionally not close a mark-up tag?)

Posted By: sjm Re: Dites "fromage" - 11/11/02 10:37 PM
The letters all look the same size to me.

Posted By: Faldage Re: Dites "fromage" - 11/11/02 10:58 PM
My B&M AHD has kwath- as a root with the meaning to ferment, be sour, but has only kvass in its list of modern descendants.

Posted By: emanuela formaggio - 11/12/02 06:14 AM
It sounds so strange to me, all these explainations.
Since I feel the strong relationship between formaggio and forma ( shape, or even the tool to give something a given shape). I mean, the formaggio takes its "forma" from the cointainer it is in.
Also, we say "una forma di parmigiano" = the round (flat cilindrical) piece of parmesan cheese.

Posted By: Faldage Re: formaggio - 11/12/02 11:23 AM
It sounds so strange

We're so used to the connection between Latin caseus and cheese in so many languages. Just in Romance languages it's queso in Spanish and queijo in Portuguese. We're, I think, mostly used to the French fromage, which has suffered the brutal mutilation of metathesis ripping it untimely from its mother's roots. When we discovered that it was formaggio in Italian, some of us went into a tizzy. This after just recently getting that lovely family tree of Romance languages that show Italian and French to be not that closely related (as Romance languages go).

Of course now some of us (read; me) are now in a frightful tizzy wondering why Latin borrowed a word from Greek AND CHANGED ITS GENDER!.

POST RESEARCH EDIT

AHD shows Latin forma possibly from Greek morphe via Etruscan. My Greek dictionary shows Greek phormos means anything plaited of wicker or reeds, hence a wicker basket, e.g., for carrying corn.
Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: formaggio - 11/13/02 02:01 PM
We have just learned what the modern Greek for cheese is: turi (u = y). It normally takes the article: "to turi." Plural is "ta turia." I'd write it in Greek if I could, but I can't here, so I won't.

And sjm, your font is smaller in Netscape but regulation-size via other browsers. Go figger.

Posted By: wwh Re: formaggio - 11/13/02 02:16 PM
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language: Fourth Edition. 2000.

turophile

SYLLABICATION:
tur·o·phile
PRONUNCIATION:
tr-f, tyr-
NOUN:
A lover of cheese.
ETYMOLOGY:
Greek tros, cheese; see teu- in Appendix I + –phile.

Posted By: Faldage Re: Turos - 11/13/02 02:32 PM
As I suspected, a missing ypsilon in the transform to the ASCII world.

Quite a family we got here looking at the root:
http://www.bartleby.com/61/roots/IE531.html

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Is this an ypsilon? - 11/13/02 05:06 PM
µ

And thanks, Dr. Bill, for the look-up.
Posted By: Faldage Re: Is this an ypsilon? - 11/13/02 05:37 PM
µ

It's a very small Greek cow.

Posted By: wwh Re:tyranny of tyrosine - 11/13/02 05:54 PM
Remember a long time ago, talking about Welsh Rabbit, that some people have nightmares,etc.
from it. Some people associated it with migraine. Tyrosine, tyramine,etc. etc.
tyrosine
5Gr tyros, cheese (see BUTTER) + 3INE36
n.
a white, crystalline nonessential amino acid, C6H4OHCH2CH(NH2)COOH, formed by the decomposition of proteins, as in the putrefaction of cheese: see AMINO ACID

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: Is this an ypsilon? - 11/13/02 05:58 PM
It's a very small Greek cow.

This from a sheep guy.

Posted By: wwh Re: migraine - 11/13/02 06:11 PM
Tyramine Foods
Tyramine is a chemical (monoamine) that occurs
naturally in many foods, but particularly in foods and
beverages that have undergone bacterial
decomposition, such as aged cheddar, blue
cheese, and certain red wines. Not everyone who
gets migraines is necessarily sensitive to tyramine.
Rather than simply eliminating all tyramine foods at
once, experiment to see if certain foods are more
problematic than others.

Posted By: Bingley Re: formaggio - 11/15/02 03:37 AM
In reply to:

the modern Greek for cheese is: turi (u = y). It normally takes the article: "to turi." Plural is "ta turia."

While the ancient Greek was turos, and was masculine. For other cheese words (mainly compounds of turos) see this list from the reverse look up in the Perseus edition of Liddell and Scott:

http://makeashorterlink.com/?T26124572

Bingley

Posted By: wwh Re: formaggio - 11/15/02 02:26 PM
Dear Bingley: Is the moon made out of chlôrotura ?

Posted By: Bingley Re: formaggio - 11/18/02 01:03 AM
No, but is often sung about with coloratura.

Bingley
© Wordsmith.org