Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Wollaeger How do I describe this person? - 10/11/02 04:28 PM
What is the term for a person who "speaks beyond their scope or knowledge?" I feel like this has been a.word.a.day but I can't locate it in the archives. Thanks.

Posted By: tsuwm Re: How do I describe this person? - 10/11/02 05:01 PM
I don't know if its been AWAD choice, but here's a worthless® one:

ultracrepidarian - [adj] Going beyond one's proper province; giving opinions on matters beyond one's knowledge. [n] One who ventures beyond his scope; an ignorant or presumptuous critic.

source: OED2

Posted By: Alex Williams Re: How do I describe this person? - 10/11/02 08:04 PM
Why not just say what Hamlet said of Polonius: These tedious old fools!

Dubya?

Tsuwm got there fustest with the mostest. His word seems perfect fit. Sufficiently
erudite to be in very good taste, leaving no retort I can think of.

Posted By: FishonaBike Re: How do I describe this person? - 10/11/02 09:08 PM
ultrapcrepidarian

Is the "PC" version a typo, nunc?

And if not, how the heck do you pronounce it?

Great word.

Posted By: tsuwm Re: How do I describe this person? - 10/11/02 10:17 PM
yes pshona, it were a typco, and no spellcheck in the known universe were likely to help.

Posted By: milum Re: How do I describe this person? - 10/12/02 01:05 AM
...and no spellcheck in the known universe were likely to help.

Excuse me Mr.tsuwm, you seem to be going beyond one's proper province; giving opinions on matters beyond one's knowledge.

The World's most accessible spellchecker -->Atomica<--just corrected ultrapcrepidarian to ultracrepidarian in a matter of .001 seconds.

Posted By: nettie01 Re: How do I describe this person? - 10/12/02 01:11 AM
pretentious?

Posted By: tsuwm Re: How do I describe this person? - 10/12/02 02:55 AM
>The World's most accessible spellchecker -->Atomica<--just corrected ultrapcrepidarian to ultracrepidarian in a matter of .001 seconds.

well actually, Atomica merely found the latter via a Google in .001 seconds; verification would take a tad longer. now if I had tried ultrapcrepidarianism....

Posted By: Jackie Re: How do I describe this person? - 10/12/02 03:24 AM
Aren't you being a little crepidatious?

Posted By: Bobyoungbalt Re: How do I describe this person? - 10/12/02 03:49 AM
A reply to Tsuwm and Milum, as well as Wollaeger:

Bullshitter?

Posted By: milum Re: How do I describe this person? - 10/12/02 10:38 AM
How do I describe this person, mmm? Let me think...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A reply to Tsuwm and Milum, as well as Wollaeger:
"Bullshiter"?
~ Bobyoungblat

Did you see that tswum? I think Bobyblat called one of us a bullshiter.

Posted By: tsuwm Re: How do I describe this person? - 10/12/02 01:03 PM
oh no, mildew; the keyword was "*AND*", not or.

Posted By: Capital Kiwi Re: How do I describe this person? - 10/13/02 09:21 PM
AWADer. We all do it...

Posted By: Wordwind Re: How do I describe this person? - 10/13/02 09:35 PM
Most excellent response, CapK!

Posted By: Faldage Re: How do I describe this person? - 10/13/02 09:39 PM
ˇWe don' need no badges!

Posted By: Wordwind Re: How do I describe this person? - 10/13/02 10:58 PM
Well, ayleurs had to be explained over and over, and AWADers, though simple and useful didn't have that je ne sais quois quality to it, so maybe we could just happily accept the fact that what we are here on AWAD is a bunch of:

ultracrepidarians.

I think Cap has hit the nail on the head.

Now did I spell ultracrepidarian right? It isn't ultracrapidarian, is it?

Posted By: Faldage Re: How do I describe this person? - 10/14/02 12:03 AM
ayleurs had to be explained over and over

Ultracrepidarian, on the other hand...

Posted By: tsuwm Re: How do I describe this person? - 10/14/02 01:33 AM
>Ultracrepidarian, on the other hand...

at least, according to mildum, you can LIU via Atomica (and also onelook, I'd wager).

Posted By: Wordwind Re: How do I describe this person? - 10/14/02 10:00 AM
And you can google ultracrepidarian and get about 206 hits, including an ultracrepidarian.org site.

Now, boys, really. I was just kidding.

When I'm kidding, must I use always these little smiling face icons?

My fervent belief on the subject of what we really are here on AWAD is a bunch of wasters-off-time. Not quite procrastinators because I don't think we're necessarily putting off anything that should be done instead of reading as we do here.

And I also fervently believe that we're a happy band because we're met a bunch of people who like wasting time thinking about the same kinds of things we like thinking about and wasting our time over.

Now what is the word for a waster-of-time, one who fiddles around all the day, just having fun? Not exactly a hedonist, but one involved in trivial pursuits?

But I do like knowing that we are also ultracrepidarians and proud of it! I wouldn't mind having a little badge, Faldage, that read: I'm an Ultracrepidarian and Proud of It!

Posted By: wow Re: How do I describe this person? - 10/14/02 01:45 PM
Now what is the word for a waster-of-time, one who fiddles around all the day, just having fun?
Daydreamers ?

Posted By: Alex Williams Re: How do I describe this person? - 10/14/02 02:05 PM
In reply to:

Now what is the word for a waster-of-time, one who fiddles around all the day, just having fun?
Daydreamers ?

AWADers?

Posted By: FishonaBike Re: How do I describe this person? - 10/14/02 02:17 PM
AWADers?

I couldn't possibly agree with any one term. In fact I'm absolutely positively certain there isn't one and never will be.

An Ultravelocicrepidaquarian

Posted By: dxb Re: How do I describe this person? - 10/14/02 02:39 PM
How about charlatan?

Posted By: doc_comfort Re: How do I describe this person? - 10/14/02 11:50 PM

Student?

Posted By: Jazzoctopus Re: How do I describe this person? - 10/15/02 01:23 AM

Student?

Ahem. I spent a good portion of my weekend in studio drafting.

and i'm not talking about a draft beer

Posted By: Wordwind Re: How do I describe this person? - 10/15/02 01:27 AM
In reply to:

Student?

Ahem. I spent a good portion of my weekend in studio drafting.

...ah, Doc, your comment cracked me up, and yours, Jazz, just made me hope you haven't lost your sense of humor! I sure do hope you were daydreaming part of that time you were in the studio! And better still if you were fiddlin' around there, too! Oh, I do have lovely dreams of a certain wind tunnel back in the 60s...and great fiddlin' around there....

Posted By: sjm Re: How do I describe this person? - 10/15/02 08:34 PM
>AWADer. We all do it...

Who's the we, kiwisabe? For myself, I like to try and live by the mantra uttered by David Byrne, "when I have nothing to say, my lips are sealed. Say something once, why say it again?" Other than offering a personal, subjective, opinion, the only time I venture to make a pronouncement here is when I am certain of its veracity. If I am only mostly certain, I keep shtum.

Yours defiantly,

An AYLEUR and proud of it.

Posted By: Capital Kiwi Re: How do I describe this person? - 10/15/02 08:42 PM
Other than offering a personal, subjective, opinion,

Precisely ...

Posted By: tsuwm Re: How do I describe this person? - 10/15/02 08:42 PM
>An AYLEUR and proud of it.

as you've said time and again. <grin>

Posted By: sjm Re: How do I describe this person? - 10/15/02 08:49 PM
Other than offering a personal, subjective, opinion,

Precisely ...

My response had to do with my understanding of the original question. The original question was,"What is the term for a person who "speaks beyond their scope or knowledge?" One who limits his or comments to expressing an opinion, carefully labelled as such, is never speakling beyond his or her scope or knowledge. I always know what my opinion is, and so am never guilty of speaking beyond my knowledge when offering my opinion, as long as I make it clear that such offerings are no more than my opinion. For me to do otherwise would be to make myself guilty of sciolism, and liable to the derision such rightly incurs. It goes without saying that the preceding is, of course, strictly IMHO.

Posted By: Jackie Re: How do I describe this person? - 10/16/02 10:55 AM
An AYLEUR and proud of it.
A-HEM, sirrah: you can be Anything You Like Except Unanimous, but you cannot be an...be an...one of those things. There ain't no such. Aroo, I miss shanks.

Posted By: FishonaBike Re: How do I describe this person? - 10/16/02 12:35 PM
An AYLEUR and proud of it

*** Hallelujah! ***

I'll tweedle with you on that one, bruv.

Posted By: Capital Kiwi Re: How do I describe this person? - 10/16/02 01:10 PM
My response had to do with my understanding of the original question. The original question was,"What is the term for a person who "speaks beyond their scope or knowledge?" One who limits his or comments to expressing an opinion, carefully labelled as such, is never speakling beyond his or her scope or knowledge. I always know what my opinion is, and so am never guilty of speaking beyond my knowledge when offering my opinion, as long as I make it clear that such offerings are no more than my opinion. For me to do otherwise would be to make myself guilty of sciolism, and liable to the derision such rightly incurs. It goes without saying that the preceding is, of course, strictly IMHO.

Yeah, yeah, yeah. But are you sure you knew what you were talking about, hmmmm?

Posted By: FishonaBike Trouble in Godzone - 10/16/02 02:26 PM
are you sure you knew what you were talking about, hmmmm?

Hey, this must be a day without a "y" in it.

Posted By: sjm Re: How do I describe this person? - 10/16/02 07:58 PM
>But are you sure you knew what you were talking about, hmmmm?

I am sure that, in my subjective opinion, I was sure that I knew what my subjective opinion was. I could, of course, have been mistaken.

Posted By: Wordwind Re: How do I describe this sciolism? - 10/17/02 12:19 AM
"Sciolism" comes from the Late Latin "sciolus," which means "smatterer" (or
"one who speaks with spotty or superficial knowledge"). "Sciolus" comes from
the diminutive of the Latin "scius," meaning "knowing," which itself comes
from the verb "scire," meaning "to know." Of course, if you know something
about Latin roots, you know that "scire" is the source of many other English
words, including "science," "prescience" ("foreknowledge"), "nescience"
("lack of knowledge"), and "conscience."

...just thought I'd paste the definition of the day of one of those daily vocabulary emails I receive since it was a timely definition--and, besdies, sjm used the word.

And sciolism does seem to fit the bill of what we're talking about here. Now, is the noun form, sciolus, still used today? I could look it up, but I'm going offline and to bed. I'll let somebody else answer the question...

Beat regards,
WordWeary

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: How do I describe this sciolism? - 10/17/02 12:36 AM
here's a reference to "Sciolist"

http://81.1911encyclopedia.org/S/SC/SCION.htm

part way down the page...

Posted By: tsuwm Re: How do I describe this sciolism? - 10/17/02 01:05 AM
>is the noun form, sciolus, still used today?

no, it's marked obsolete, with the latest citation from 1658. but as mentioned above, sciolist is a fine noun.

© Wordsmith.org