Wordsmith.org
Posted By: tsuwm in all fairness, I'm on the level - 08/10/02 05:59 PM
"But I do not want to be a clerk--I would rather be a priest. At least I would see something of the world."
"You're too old," Ananda said equitably.

as I read this, I thought to myself, "I would have written that as said equably. but when I looked into the shadings, I found that equitably resides on a fairness scale and equably lies on a levelness scale. both words come from a Latin root which has both senses.

now I'm not sure which I'd use in this context.

Posted By: wwh Re: in all fairness, I'm on the level - 08/10/02 06:15 PM
I think "equably" would be the mot juste. It would indicate that the speaker did not
use a tone that would have made his words uncomplimentary.

Posted By: Jackie Re: in all fairness, I'm on the level - 08/10/02 11:47 PM
I agree with Dr. Bill. I've always felt that equably denotes the demeanor of the speaker, and usually in contrast to something a bit lively having just happened. My guess is that equably would fit better here--unless, say, there were many younger candidates vying for a limited number of spots. Then, she might be pointing out that it would be unfair for a person who is already too old, to try and get one.

Posted By: milum Re: in all fairness, I'm on the level - 08/11/02 02:55 AM
Exception! Exception!

"Equable" is a double-take word for most readers and if that was the desired nuance, "evenly" would have been much better.

On the other hand, "equitable" has a usage relationship of "fairness" with a touch of "kindness". Likely the intent intended. - Besides "equable" is clumsy in sound, while "equitable" roooooools up and down off the tongue.

Posted By: inselpeter Re: in all fairness, I'm on the level - 08/11/02 10:16 AM
<<"But I do not want to be a clerk--I would rather be a priest. At least I would see something of the world."
"You're too old," Ananda said equitably.>>

One way or another, the first speaker's line is delightfully ironic. And if Ananda's is not itself ironic, the author's choice of "equitably" may be. To call someone "too old" may be considered offensive--and yet, it was equitably said.

Posted By: wwh Re: in all fairness, I'm on the level - 08/11/02 12:14 PM
Dear milum: "evenly" would suggest to me the speaker was resisting the temptation
to make a biting retort.

"equitably" would sound as though the speaker was judging two previous opinions.

Posted By: wsieber Re: in all fairness, I'm on the level - 08/12/02 06:34 AM
Dear tsuwm,
After considering the distinguised opinions here, I wonder: was this from a translated text?

© Wordsmith.org