Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Jazzoctopus Urban - 02/04/02 11:04 PM
Meandering thoughts while studying for art history exam . . .

Merriam Webster says that urban comes from the Latin word for city (urbs). How, if at all, does this relate to urbane (notably polite or finished in manner) and Urban, as in the name of various popes, including the one who started the Crusades?

Posted By: wwh Re: Urban - 02/04/02 11:14 PM
The city dwellers bashfully boast of their polished manners, though only a minority could justify that claim. Name of Urban for Popes I have never seen discussed.

Posted By: Bobyoungbalt Re: Urban - 02/05/02 04:05 AM
Yes, it appears that being in a densely populated area like a city imposed nicer manners, like you can't fart in public.

Posted By: emanuela Re: Urban - 02/05/02 06:10 AM
In fact, in Italian we use
villano (coming from living in villa, here means living outside the cities) meaning not polite.
Also, with the same meaning, contadino = peasan, literally living in the contado , where contado is the whole land belonging to a conte, and conte is count, earl?.

Posted By: Faldage Re: Contadino - 02/05/02 11:41 AM
You use contadino to mean not polite?

Interesting. Clicking that in with Bobyb's fart in public post makes me wonder if I ever want to eat Contadino Tomato Paste again. It's an USn brand name.

Posted By: emanuela Re: Contadino - 02/05/02 12:24 PM
well, it depends on the context.

In the contadino tomato sauce the first meaning coming in mind is that it is suggesting that those tomatoes grew in a very safe way, without chemicals added, as the tomatoes that the contadini were growing for their own use.
And a very common way to preserve them was to cook them , then put them in bottles, and finally to boil for at least one hour. Someone still does at home. I give it up about tomatoes, but I do the same with red hot peppers.

Posted By: Faldage Re: Contadino context - 02/05/02 02:02 PM
Thank you for that info, emanuela. What I like about this place. All the cross cultural influences.

Posted By: milum Re: Contadino context - 02/05/02 03:41 PM
Thank you for that info, emanuela. What I like about this place. All the cross cultural influences.

Yes, and people who aid in the deterioration of such cultures by the use in polite society of crudities, like the nice word "fart".

Posted By: wwh Re: Contadino context - 02/05/02 03:58 PM
Dear Milum: "Fart" is indeed an unattractive word. What better word can you suggest?

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: Contadino context - 02/05/02 04:12 PM
Milum,

Who're y'all callin' polite society?

Posted By: Rubrick It's a gas! - 02/05/02 04:23 PM
"Fart" is indeed an unattractive word. What better word can you suggest?

In the 'family film' Shrek, Donkey accuses Shrek of 'cracking one off'.

You could also have flatulate, break wind, release gas, let rip, blow off, let a raspberry, honk or poot. Choose your favourite - the list is endless.

And SBD for those sneaky, anonymous pooters.

Posted By: wwh Re: It's a gas! - 02/05/02 05:20 PM
A long time ago there was a weight reduction program using a sulfate containing compound called Kruschen Salts. Extremely obese banana boat radionman tried it. It made him have such voluminous expulsions of H2S that when he got to a movie late, he would walk halfway down aisle, lay down a barrage, and quite soon there would be a lot of vacated seats, from which he could take his pick.

Posted By: Sparteye Villano - 02/05/02 07:37 PM
Thank you, Emanuela. You've just made the connection for me to villain. From Webster's Unabridged:

[ME vilein, vilain, fr. MF, fr. ML villanus, fr. L villa country house, country estate, village + anus* -an ...]

So, villain has a heritage similar to civility, civilized, barbaric, and uncouth, in that it imposes attributes depending upon where the person is from.

* and we do not need to tie this in with the direction the other fork of this thread has taken...

Posted By: Angel Re: Contadino - 02/05/02 07:51 PM
Contadino Tomato Paste

Is that anything like the Contadina Tomato Paste I use for cooking?

Posted By: Angel Re: It's a gas! - 02/05/02 07:56 PM
Choose your favourite - the list is endless.

Round here we say "fluff". and blame it on the cat!

Posted By: Faldage Re: Contadino - 02/05/02 08:01 PM
Is that anything like the Contadina Tomato Paste I use for cooking?

Yeah. It's the masculine version. Women cook with Contadina, men with Contadino.

Posted By: Angel Re: Contadina - 02/05/02 08:10 PM
Yeah. It's the masculine version. Women cook with Contadina, men with Contadino.

Guess that means I'm a lady!

Posted By: belMarduk Re: Villano - 02/05/02 09:08 PM
vilain/vilaine is used in French also but does not have the extreme conotation as villain in English. It means that the person is not too nice; usually applied a child who has done something just a little bit not nicer than naughty.

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: It's a gas! - 02/05/02 09:13 PM
Rubrick recommends: And SBD for those sneaky, anonymous pooters.

I'm not sure what SBD means, but would it also apply to those, sneaky anonymous posters?

Posted By: of troy Re: It's a gas! - 02/05/02 11:40 PM
Silent But Deadly.
take it from someone who family meals (say at holiday time) might include Cabbage, rutabaga, brussel sprouts, and onions.. trust me, you didn't want to be indoors the next day... or any time soon with your family!

then there was the nun at the RR station. she was waiting for a train, and found a some pennies. How novel.. (most nuns take vows of poverty, and never carry money.) she saw a scale, and an ad on it, "your wieght and fortune, 1 C.

She stepped on the scale, and got a small piece of paper,
weight 135lbs.
"a small wind will come your way"

She thought, thats a silly fortune, got on the scale again
and this time got
weight 135lbs
"Wind is due soon"

now she was annoyed.. she wanted her fortune, and so, taking her last penny, she spepped on the scale again
"You still weight 135 lbs, and if you don't stop farting around here, you'll miss your train!"

Posted By: Bobyoungbalt F**t - 02/06/02 04:55 AM
Well, I have to plead guilty to being a dirty and crude old man, but I'm in good company. BTW, have you ever read The Miller's Tale from the Canterbury Tales? And that's a classic.

Posted By: wow Re: F**t - 02/06/02 02:25 PM
And SBD for those sneaky, anonymous pooters
Another good reason to own a dog!

© Wordsmith.org