Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Flatlander Don't cry for me... - 01/25/02 02:40 PM
From the Buenos Aires Herald, the city's "English" language newspaper:

Banks continued to ease the restrictions on frozen bank deposits yesterday but the process was marked by a series of glitches. The Central Bank ruled late Tuesday that as of yesterday depositors could swap up to 5,000 dollars in their accounts into pesos at the official exchange rate of 1.40 pesos to the dollar. However numerous banks were unable to pesify the deposits, alleging that the Central Bank had issued the ruling too late the night before for them to modify their systems.

Pesify - to exchange dollars for pesos.

Any other currency-based verbs? I'll add that the current crisis in Argentina was intensified by the Government's decision to "de-dollarize" their currency. The value of the peso had been pegged to that of the dollar (dollarized) since the early '90s.

Posted By: Faldage Re: Don't cry for me... - 01/25/02 02:48 PM
pesify ... de-dollarize

I love it. We are so fortunate to be living in such an exciting period in the development of our rigorous and flexible language.

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Yeahbutİ - 01/25/02 03:15 PM
I'll betcha dollars to drachmas that pesify and de-dollarize are direct translations of Spanish coinages.

Posted By: Faldage Re: Yeahbutİ - 01/25/02 03:35 PM
direct translations of Spanish coinages

As are so many of the usages that make our great language the powerful force in international linguistics that it is today. Not necessarily Spanish loan translations, but loan translations from whatever language sails across our bow.

Posted By: maverick Re: Yeahbutİ - 01/25/02 03:44 PM
loan translations

yep - so all we can do is note these coinages with interest

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: Yeahbutİ - 01/25/02 03:46 PM
While Faldage is busy with his nits, let me thank you for seeing and raising the pun, Mav.

Posted By: wwh Re: Yeahbutİ - 01/25/02 03:48 PM
Argentina must have a coin called a crux, because so many people there are getting crucified.
The coin could have gotten its name from the character of their politicians.

Posted By: wofahulicodoc Vonnegut lives - 01/25/02 08:09 PM
loan translations
yep - so all we can do is note these coinages with interest

And so it grows.

Posted By: Capital Kiwi Re: Vonnegut lives - 01/25/02 10:01 PM
I wishi you'd all stop capitalising on (each) other's financial and linguistic misfortunes and faux pas!

Posted By: Keiva Re: Vonnegut lives - 01/25/02 10:48 PM
Why CK! I would think that a capital Kiwi would find it of great interest, although somewhat unprincipled. Let's not discount it arbitrally.

[seeking literary ref. to "John Dos Pesos" -e]
Posted By: TEd Remington Pesifying? - 01/26/02 01:05 AM
Obviously you have never seen the movie about the REALLY cheap hooker -- Centavo Woman. It was at the pyx just recently, along with that movie about Barney Ruble. It's a shame that the euro has come along, as I won't be able to punt on these any longer.

Of course this reminds me of the story from England years ago about Sam, who made a small living counterfeiting smaller coins. He called it the badminton racket. Finally, though Scotland Yard got him, and Sam asked how they had figured out who he was. The detective merely whistled the tune, "Sam you Made the Pence Too Long."

Posted By: wofahulicodoc Re: Vonnegut lives - 01/26/02 01:09 AM
[seeking literary ref. to "John Dos Pesos" -e]

Wasn't that the sign on the pay toilet?

Posted By: Rubrick Pound of Flesh - 01/26/02 06:48 PM
It's a shame that the euro has come along, as I won't be able to punt on these any longer.

Arf, arf, Ted. To be Franc, I'll have to Mark you down for that one. Drachma your name in shame and lire at that!! Then you can Escudo yourself!!

Actually, now that we don't have the pound anymore, we can't call the Euro 'quids'. What's a viable alternative, do you think?? 'Es'??

Posted By: Capital Kiwi Re: Pound of Flesh - 01/26/02 09:14 PM
Rubrick, given where you come from "shite" might be the best word for the Euro ... You'll rue having given away your lovely punts ere long, I believe. I wouldn't have Britain give up the pound for quids!

Posted By: Rubrick Re: Pound of Flesh - 01/26/02 10:18 PM
Rubrick, given where you come from "shite" might be the best word for the Euro ... You'll rue having given away your lovely punts ere long, I believe. I wouldn't have Britain give up the pound for quids!

Ah, CapK. They're not that bad. Actually quite nice once you get used to them. Nice shiny monopoly money feel to them. Only problem with them is trying to work exactly how much you just paid for a round!!!

Posted By: Capital Kiwi Re: Pound of Flesh - 01/26/02 11:49 PM
Only problem with them is trying to work exactly how much you just paid for a round!!!

I sympathise. I'm still having that trouble with sterling ...

Posted By: stales Re: Don't cry for me... - 01/27/02 05:19 AM
Apologies to those that've heard it - but I believe that, since the Euro came into play recently, it is now unacceptable to use the expression "spend a penny". From here on one should use the phrase "euronating".

notbackyet stales

Posted By: stales Don't cry for me...I've got Tinea - 01/27/02 05:28 AM
.....was a the main line of a parody Abba tribute song by one of our great comedians of the past - Norman Gunston.

(Wish I could find the words - google has failed me...

notbackyet stales

© Wordsmith.org