Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Jackie Recuperated? - 11/04/11 04:24 PM
Is this word used correctly in this quote? "The reputation of Guy Fawkes has been recuperated.
Posted By: Faldage Re: Recuperated? - 11/04/11 05:52 PM
My guess would be not in American English. Can't speak for those Brits. Neither of the transitive definitions in AHD4 seem to quite match.
Posted By: tsuwm Re: Recuperated? - 11/04/11 07:11 PM
I dunno; the secondary meaning given is simply to regain.

as in, He has regained/recuperated his reputation.

here's the article from the Huff Post with the offending passage:
link
Posted By: Faldage Re: Recuperated? - 11/04/11 10:41 PM
He had a reputation to start with. He didn't gain anything; it was just changed.
Posted By: Jackie Re: Recuperated? - 11/05/11 01:53 AM
It just sounded strange to me, like umber's flanneling. [cross-threading e]
Posted By: Candy Re: Recuperated? - 11/05/11 02:05 AM
It does sound a bit strange, but not so bad if you change to word recuperated to recovered....

What was the rest of the passage, Jackie?
Posted By: tsuwm Re: Recuperated? - 11/05/11 03:23 AM
I think I had it in the link.. J?
Posted By: Tromboniator Re: Recuperated? - 11/05/11 07:19 AM
recuperate
v.tr.
1. To restore to health or strength.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition copyright ©2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Updated in 2009. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

I've never heard it used as a transitive verb before, but it seems to make perfect sense to me.
Posted By: Candy Re: Recuperated? - 11/05/11 07:41 AM
Originally Posted By: tsuwm

Yes...sorry Ts...I see that now. I missed it this morning.

Great article, 'Vendetta Masks Become Symbol Of The Movement'...well written.

I was bought up by a catholic father and he never liked us to celebrate Guy Fawkes Day...I never found out why, but I was sorry not to be able to enjoy the fire works! Now days, the public in Australia are not aloud to buy fireworks (for safety reasons) and the only displays are put on by registered pyrotechnics.
Posted By: Faldage Re: Recuperated? - 11/05/11 11:23 AM
Originally Posted By: Tromboniator
recuperate
v.tr.
1. To restore to health or strength.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition copyright ©2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Updated in 2009. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

Looks to me like a case of "missed it by that much." [/holding thumb and forefinger close together]
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: Recuperated? - 11/05/11 04:04 PM
Originally Posted By: Candy

Yes...sorry Ts...I see that now. I missed it this morning.

Great article, 'Vendetta Masks Become Symbol Of The Movement'...well written.

I was bought up by a catholic father and he never liked us to celebrate Guy Fawkes Day...I never found out why, but I was sorry not to be able to enjoy the fire works! Now days, the public in Australia are not aloud to buy fireworks (for safety reasons) and the only displays are put on by registered pyrotechnics.

Today's History of the day entry:

http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/washington-condemns-guy-fawkes-festivities?et_cid=33288894&et_rid=706030399&linkid=http%3a%2f%2fwww.history.com%2fthis-day-in-history%2fwashington-condemns-guy-fawkes-festivities
Posted By: Tromboniator Re: Recuperated? - 11/05/11 07:57 PM
Here's a more streamlined link.
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: Recuperated? - 11/05/11 11:37 PM
Thanks Peter, I don't know how to do that.
Posted By: Candy Re: Recuperated? - 11/06/11 05:46 AM
Originally Posted By: LukeJavan8
Thanks Peter, I don't know how to do that.

One day you will take the time to learn how its done....

But no matter, I followed your link Luke (before Peter posted the edited version) and thanks for finding that for me...it did answer some questions (I'd forgotten I had...memories surfacing from my past).
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: Recuperated? - 11/06/11 04:04 PM

It is not a matter of taking time, it is understanding how.
I don't follow directions when they are printed in a
comprehensible manner. I work better when shown, then I have
it forever. Something to do with dyslexia.

Peter, thanks, but your link won't open here.
Posted By: BranShea Re: Recuperated? - 11/06/11 06:15 PM
I think I read the link..
It's reassuring that no matter what 's recuperated in which sense or other commerce of masks is flourishing. ( never knew Guy Fawkes had these strong Chinese facial features.) smile

Maybe we should first find out "Was Guy Fawkes a Chinese or an English criminal ?"
Posted By: BranShea Re: Recuperated? - 11/07/11 10:52 AM
Anyway, as a word contribution: in French récuperer is an active verb: 'je récupère mon ex', 'il récupère son ordinateur volé'.

In English is it used actively in any way?'I recuper / recuperate my stolen computer??'
Posted By: bexter Re: Recuperated? - 11/07/11 11:38 AM
I haven't heard it as a transient either...if it was me, I would have used recouped instead of recuperated...
Bran, I don't think we do use it like that (or I haven't heard it!) possibly "reclaim my stolen computer"? But I wouldn't take my word as wisdom or law wink
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: Recuperated? - 11/07/11 01:28 PM
In English is it used actively in any way?'I recuper / recuperate my stolen computer??'

In these sentences, we would use recover, another version of Latin recupero that came into English via French.
Posted By: BranShea Re: Recuperated? - 11/07/11 06:41 PM
Aha! Of course. Never noticed it. But then you also use it in a more passive way? Like regaining health. Healing. Recover from an illness. Thank you!

But I wouldn't take my word as wisdom or law wink
Neither would I take mine, Bexter.
Posted By: Candy Re: Recuperated? - 11/08/11 12:33 PM
Originally Posted By: BranShea
....( never knew Guy Fawkes had these strong Chinese facial features.) smile

Ha..Bran you made me go back and check the picture.
© Wordsmith.org