Wordsmith.org
Posted By: NHchick Necrology - 06/01/11 12:33 PM
if ending with logy, why is necrology not study of death instead of list of dead??
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: Necrology - 06/01/11 01:07 PM
if ending with logy, why is necrology not study of death instead of list of dead??

Because, the word was not coined after (Classical) Greek had ceased to be spoken. Originally, -logia[/i] mean 'gathering together': e.g., anthologia meant 'bunch of flowers', before becoming a word for a collection of poems or other short texts. The suffix is related to the Greek verb λέγω (legō) 'to pick up, gather, collect' (link).
Posted By: Kelley Re: Necrology - 06/01/11 04:49 PM
Even so, the necro- and the -logy word roots are familiar to folks in the natural sciences. Indeed I'd say the roots are familar to the general populace, and we're comfortable assuming that we'd be understood if we compare and contrast necromancy w/ necrology. Or that necrology would result in necropsies and vice versa. I should assert that a third meaning of the word necrology would be the study of death or decomposition. Necrology is the logical opposite of biology.
Still, I observe that Meriam Webster does not yet agree with me.
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: Necrology - 06/02/11 12:06 AM
Necrology is the logical opposite of biology.

Not when the word was coined in the late Dark Ages or Early Middle Ages by representatives of the Roman Catholic Church. So, by your logic, anthology should mean 'the study of flowers' and not a collection of poems. Sort of the Humpty Dumpty Syndrome.
Posted By: Candy Re: Necrology - 06/02/11 11:00 AM
Originally Posted By: Kelley

......Still, I observe that Meriam Webster does not yet agree with me.

yet!

I like your optimism Kelley
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: Necrology - 06/02/11 03:14 PM
....glass half full.
© Wordsmith.org