Wordsmith.org
Posted By: DBerman Boorish Charmer - 08/11/10 03:34 PM
Hello fellow Word afficianados.

This is my first posting here. hope you can help me shed some light on this phrase.

A dear friend used this description for me and it has perplexed me. I understand that boorish means rude, crude and is negative in general.

But cant figure out the meaning of this combination.

And help with this boggling matter would be a ppreciated.

Thanks,

D
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: Boorish Charmer - 08/11/10 04:02 PM
boorish charmer

While I cannot be 100% sure about it, it might be in reference to a sentence in Dryden, cited in the OED entry for boorish:
Quote:
1697 DRYDEN Virg. Ded., The Boorish Dialect of Theocritus has a secret Charm in it.
It (link) comes from Dryden's translation of Virgil's Eclogues, in the dedicatory preface. Theocritus was the inventor of bucolic poetry, of which the Eclogues are an example.
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: Boorish Charmer - 08/11/10 04:20 PM
Welcome, DBerman.
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: Boorish Charmer - 08/11/10 04:24 PM
I googled around on various permutations of "boorish charmer" (e.g., "boorish charm", "charming boor", etc.) and one gets hits: my favorite was a reference to the cartoon character Bender (the robot) from Futurama. It's almost an oxymoron, but not quite.
Posted By: DBerman Re: Boorish Charmer - 08/11/10 04:38 PM
Maybe in this case it means Im old or ancient like Virgil.
Posted By: DBerman Re: Boorish Charmer - 08/11/10 07:21 PM
Its also been used on the web to describe Bob Hope and Seth Rogen in "Knocked Up". Does it mean "schticky"? or "hairy"?
Posted By: BranShea Re: Boorish Charmer - 08/11/10 08:25 PM
Is there absolutely no way to suppose something more flattering or positive? grin
Posted By: beck123 Re: Boorish Charmer - 08/11/10 09:55 PM
I think some people are easily both. We've all met workmen or neighbors or classmates who lack manners or refinement or grace but are naturally charming, nonetheless. The clumsy oaf who is friendly and self-effacing; the country bumpkin with the irresistible smile; etc. They're out there.
Posted By: Faldage Re: Boorish Charmer - 08/11/10 11:55 PM
Boor originally just meant farmer. The negative connotations came from the lack of a city-dweller's manners. Poetically it could simply mean that your friend considers you to be an unstudied charmer, one who charms without the guile that might be expected of a more sophisticated person. Honestly charming rather than one who is being charming with an eye towards benefiting from the feelings invoked in the person charmed.
Posted By: Jackie Re: Boorish Charmer - 08/12/10 02:18 AM
The phrase makes me think of someone who, for example, breaks into an established group at a party and begins talking loudly about something on his own agenda, either not thinking or not caring that the group had been carrying on an enjoyable conversation; yet is so, well, charming in relating his tale that they put aside any initial annoyance.
Posted By: jenny jenny Re: Boorish Charmer - 08/12/10 02:36 AM
Dog dung doodle, Jackie, have we met? shocked
Posted By: Jackie Re: Boorish Charmer - 08/13/10 01:38 AM
Em...perhaps we have met the same person(s), eh? smile
Posted By: beck123 Re: Boorish Charmer - 08/13/10 02:46 AM
Hey, you two, let me tell you a ... oops, sorry for interrupting.
Posted By: Jackie Re: Boorish Charmer - 08/15/10 02:53 AM
smile I also liked your...what was it? tw or yw, maybe--in the other thread.
Posted By: beck123 Re: Boorish Charmer - 08/15/10 01:01 PM
Thank yw. I believe hwmor facilitates learning.
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: Boorish Charmer - 08/15/10 02:09 PM
Thank yw.

In Middle Welsh orthography there are dotted ys (ẏ). In modern Welsh, there are plain y and w vowels and versions with circumflexes, ŷ and ŵ.
Posted By: beck123 Re: Boorish Charmer - 08/16/10 01:38 AM
What sounds do each make?
Posted By: Hal Alexander Re: Boorish Charmer - 08/26/10 11:15 PM
Please pardon my boorish interruption of your stream of conversation, but I've a question regarding "boor," as meaning farmer: Is it the same word as the Dutch "Boer?" Is there any connection with "boar," a male swine?

If I've committed a faux pas, please forgive this first time poster.

Hal
Posted By: Faldage Re: Boorish Charmer - 08/27/10 12:09 AM
No faux pas. We wander all over the map in many of these threads. And they're both good questions. I know the first one is "yes". In fact, we stole boor from Dutch, according to AHD4. It's also the same word as the German Bauer. According to AHD4, they're also related to the English word bower if you go back far enough. They're not related to boar, which is from Old English.
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: Boorish Charmer - 08/27/10 12:32 AM
Originally Posted By: Hal Alexander
Please pardon my boorish interruption of your stream of conversation, but I've a question regarding "boor," as meaning farmer: Is it the same word as the Dutch "Boer?" Is there any connection with "boar," a male swine?

If I've committed a faux pas, please forgive this first time poster.

Hal

WELCOME
Posted By: beck123 Re: Boorish Charmer - 08/27/10 01:02 AM
Yes, welcome aboard. Maybe you know what the vowels ẏ, y, ŷ and ŵ sound like in Welsh. "w" apparently has an "oo" sound.
Posted By: BranShea Re: Boorish Charmer - 08/27/10 09:35 PM
Fẏr thŷm thŷt reallư ŵant to knoŵ.

link
Posted By: beck123 Re: Boorish Charmer - 08/27/10 11:40 PM
Yeah, what Shea said.
Posted By: Jackie Re: Boorish Charmer - 09/05/10 01:19 AM
we stole boor from Dutch Ssh! They might want it back.
Posted By: Faldage Re: Boorish Charmer - 09/05/10 11:37 AM
Tough. It was their bad luck to meet up with us in a dark alley. They have to live with the consequences.
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: Boorish Charmer - 09/05/10 02:35 PM
we stole boor from Dutch

Not necessarily. The origin of English boor is not so cut and dried. It might have come down via Middle and Old English from Proto-Germanic. Old English had gebūr 'dweller; farmer' and neāhbūr 'neighbor'.
Posted By: Faldage Re: Boorish Charmer - 09/05/10 06:33 PM
Clark-Hall has ±būr, freeholder of the lowest class, peasant, farmer, where the ± signifies that it is found with and without the prefix ge-.
Posted By: Avy Re: Boorish Charmer - 09/06/10 01:30 AM
Originally Posted By: Faldage
where the ± signifies that it is found with and without the prefix ge-.

What is the ASCII code to get that plus and minus sign?
Posted By: tsuwm Re: Boorish Charmer - 09/06/10 02:12 AM
one way to get it (and many other special characters) is to copy/paste it from the (Windows) Character Map: ±

Start>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools>Character Map
Posted By: Avy Re: Boorish Charmer - 09/06/10 02:45 AM
Thanks.
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: Boorish Charmer - 09/06/10 10:20 AM

The Unicode hex value for �xB1; is 0x00B1.
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: Boorish Charmer - 09/06/10 10:20 AM

The Unicode hex value for ± is 0x00B1.
Posted By: Faldage Re: Boorish Charmer - 09/06/10 11:26 AM
I got it from OpenOffice's Insert > Special Character function.
Posted By: Avy Re: Boorish Charmer - 09/06/10 03:13 PM
I guess Abulafia will have a similar option.
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: Boorish Charmer - 09/06/10 03:46 PM
If you're using the Windows OS, you can enter the (decimal)number on the numpad while holding down the Alt key. Hex 0xB1 = Decimal 177.
Posted By: Faldage Re: Boorish Charmer - 09/06/10 09:24 PM
Originally Posted By: zmjezhd
If you're using the Windows OS, you can enter the (decimal)number on the numpad while holding down the Alt key. Hex 0xB1 = Decimal 177.

And if that doesn't work enter 0177.
Posted By: tsuwm Re: Boorish Charmer - 09/06/10 10:08 PM

which makes no sense at all, for a decimal no. (but that's how I first learned to do it, too.)
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: Boorish Charmer - 09/06/10 11:53 PM
which makes no sense at all

It's been a while since I've used Windows, so I forgot the leading zero.
Posted By: tsuwm Re: Boorish Charmer - 09/07/10 01:53 AM
Originally Posted By: tsuwm

which makes no sense at all, for a decimal no. (but that's how I first learned to do it, too.)

okay, so why did I say 0177, as an entry for a decimal no., makes no sense at all? because in programming languages, octal literals are typically identified with a variety of prefixes, including the digit 0. that's why.
(esp. when the decimal number, in context, is extremely ambiguous; i.e. 0177 could be octal or hex or decimal.)
Posted By: Faldage Re: Boorish Charmer - 09/07/10 10:39 AM

okay, so why did I say 0177, as an entry for a decimal no., makes no sense at all? because in programming languages, octal literals are typically identified with a variety of prefixes, including the digit 0. that's why.
(esp. when the decimal number, in context, is extremely ambiguous; i.e. 0177 could be octal or hex or decimal.)

My understanding (completely self-generated, but based on some knowledge of basic computer programming) is that the routine that handles the input is looking for four digits and if it doesn't get them it's not going to work.
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: Boorish Charmer - 09/07/10 12:37 PM
My understanding (completely self-generated, but based on some knowledge of basic computer programming) is that the routine that handles the input is looking for four digits and if it doesn't get them it's not going to work.

Which seems wrong to me. The fact that you are holding down a modifier key (the Alt key in this case) should be all that is necessary. Leading zeros add nothing to the mix. 70, 070, 0070 are all 70.

Of course, tsuwm's point is well-taken. 0177 does look a lot like octal. In my original posting to the thread about the Unicode value, I prepended a 0x to the number indicating it was hexadecimal.
Posted By: Faldage Re: Boorish Charmer - 09/07/10 10:54 PM
Well, does it work without the leading zero?
Posted By: tsuwm Re: Boorish Charmer - 09/08/10 12:03 AM
I'd guess not, but that wasn't my point, was it?!
Posted By: catherinegordon Re: Boorish Charmer - 09/08/10 12:42 AM
From my (possibly unfeminist) perspective, I can imagine a man being a "boorish charmer" but not a woman. women can often be attracted to someone who is a "rascal, scoundrel, raffish, devil-may-care, heartless" , all negative terms in some sense, but which imply a disrespect for convention and therefore an exciting sense of danger and adventure. "Boorish" has connotations of bad manners and rough conduct, but combined with "charmer" moves into the category of DELIBERATE intent to impress, therefore implying that the boorishness is a superficial affectation rather than an innate quality.
Posted By: Faldage Re: Boorish Charmer - 09/08/10 11:13 AM
I'd guess not, but that wasn't my point, was it?!

Well, I dunno. We were talking about how to get the ± character.
Posted By: Faldage Re: Boorish Charmer - 09/09/10 11:56 AM
OK. I tried it on my work Windows machine and ALT-177 worked but it didn't give me ±. It gave me ▒. I put the two characters in a txt file and did a hex dump and got this:

Code:
00000000  ff fe b1 00 0d 00 0a 00  92 25              |.........%|
0000000a

The txt file was

±
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: Boorish Charmer - 09/09/10 12:17 PM
I put the two characters in a txt file and did a hex dump

Hmm.

1. What program did you use to create the text file on the Windows machine?
2. How did you transfer the text file to the Linux machine?

ff fe b1 00 0d 00 0a 00 92 25

Allowing for the little-endian-ness of Windows (and Linux) reordering of bytes:

0xFFFE : magic number for UTF-8
0x00B1 : decimal 177 for ±
0x000D : decimal 13 for CR (carriage return)
0x000A : decimal 10 for LF (linefeed)
0x2592 : decimal 9618 for Medium Shade ▒

According to this page, you can get it in Windows by typing Alt-2592 or Alt-177. Go figure.
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: Boorish Charmer - 09/09/10 11:36 PM
on a mac, it's shift-option =

or I suppose it's option +

±
Posted By: Faldage Re: Boorish Charmer - 09/10/10 12:28 AM
I put the two characters in a txt file and did a hex dump

Hmm.

1. What program did you use to create the text file on the Windows machine?
2. How did you transfer the text file to the Linux machine?

ff fe b1 00 0d 00 0a 00 92 25

Allowing for the little-endian-ness of Windows (and Linux) reordering of bytes:

0xFFFE : magic number for UTF-8
0x00B1 : decimal 177 for ±
0x000D : decimal 13 for CR (carriage return)
0x000A : decimal 10 for LF (linefeed)
0x2592 : decimal 9618 for Medium Shade ▒

According to this page, you can get it in Windows by typing Alt-2592 or Alt-177. Go figure.

I did the original file (177.txt) in NotePad and transfered it to my home box with a flash drive. I did the hex dump with hexdump -C 177.txt.
© Wordsmith.org