Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Hydra A Latin phrase of Coleridge's - 06/24/08 06:19 PM
 Quote:
Eheu! quam infortunii miserrimum est fuisse felicem!

Can anyone translate?

For context: It was written on the wall of a stable by a young and in debt S. T. Coleridge while serving in the 15th Light Dragoons as a stable hand, having failed to secure a much-needed scholarship, having been expelled from Cambridge, having failed to win the Irish lottery. (In pursuit of this last mad hope he had even beseeched an unsympathetic Lady Fortune in a poem published in a London newspaper).
Posted By: Faldage Re: A Latin phrase of Coleridge's - 06/24/08 10:46 PM
The miserrimum looks funny, but if you make it Eheu! quam infortunii miserum est fuisse felicem! it comes out something like 'Alas, happiness is as possible as misery for the unfortunate.' Perhaps Nuncle Z can set us straight.
Posted By: tsuwm Re: A Latin phrase of Coleridge's - 06/24/08 11:36 PM
here's a (looser) translation, which at least seems to make a little more sense, to me:

"Alas how much the worst part of misfortune it is to have once been happy."
Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: A Latin phrase of Coleridge's - 06/25/08 12:09 AM
Meanwhile, Hydra, I am tsking at your double genitive. I mean, I like an apostrophe as much as the next greengrocer, but.
Posted By: Faldage Re: A Latin phrase of Coleridge's - 06/25/08 12:50 AM
 Originally Posted By: AnnaStrophic
Meanwhile, Hydra, I am tsking at your double genitive. I mean, I like an apostrophe as much as the next greengrocer, but.

"of Coleridge's"? Ain' nothin' wrong with that.
Posted By: Hydra Re: A Latin phrase of Coleridge's - 06/25/08 04:27 AM
Thank you Faldage and tsuwm.

AnnaStrophic, what?
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: A Latin phrase of Coleridge's - 06/25/08 07:00 AM
The miserrimum looks funny

It's the superlative form of miser 'wretched, miserable, unhappy'. tsuwm's already done the heavy lifting.

According to none footnote (in Google Books), it's an allusion to Boethius: in omni adversitate fortunae, infelicissimum genus est infortunii fuisse felicem. ("In every reverse of fortune, the most unhappy condition of misfortune is to have known happiness", link)
Posted By: Hydra Re: A Latin phrase of Coleridge's - 06/25/08 12:47 PM
Thanks again fellas.

I've since done a little reading on that double-genitive plaint of yours, AnnaStrophic.

Quite the prescriptivist, aren't we?
Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: A Latin phrase of Coleridge's - 06/25/08 05:34 PM
 Originally Posted By: Hydra
Thanks again fellas.

I've since done a little reading on that double-genitive plaint of yours, AnnaStrophic.

Quite the prescriptivist, aren't we?

Oh, yeah. and apparently still ignorant enough not to have realized that dry wit silly humor and double-cross-threading (yes! two hyphens!!) need at least a smiley to signal intent.
© Wordsmith.org