Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Hydra To laugh - 07/08/07 12:38 PM
I sometimes see "laugh" used to mean "say with a laugh" as in,

Quote:
"Go to hell", laughed Albert.

This sense is not in the dictionary. Is it somewhat incorrect? (That is, "best avoided in careful usage", as my dictionary sometimes puts it.)
Posted By: dalehileman Re: To laugh - 07/08/07 02:03 PM
This sort of construction is often used where the quote itself suggests a connection to the verb, as in "'Cut a gut', coughed Albert," "'Ooh, nooo!' whined Albert" or "'Stop the shit, Skipper,' sputtered Albert. "Though "Go to hell" doesn't sound like a laugh, I'm sure it's ok on purely technical grounds
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: To laugh - 07/08/07 02:26 PM
well, I suppose one could say, "go to hell", said Albert, laughing. or laughingly.

but why would you? I don't see what's wrong with laughed.
Posted By: Jackie Re: To laugh - 07/09/07 02:43 PM
Well--I don't recall seeing this particular word used like this; but I don't think it's any "wrong-er" than, for ex., "Hah!, snorted Albert". Just gives a feel for the intent.
Posted By: Maven Re: To laugh - 07/09/07 04:53 PM
I know in certain circles that type of usage is frowned upon. If you haven't developed your character well enough that the tone is clear either from past association or context, this is a trite way to set the mood.
Posted By: Zed Re: To laugh - 07/09/07 07:39 PM
"I must be in a different circle." Zed shrugged. "I don't find it trite; in dialogue it sounds neater to me than said with a laugh."
Part of the problem is finding ways to differentiate the speakers, especially if there ore more than two, without too frequent use of A said, B said, A said, C said, Etc said.

edit: and how the heck did this topic pull up adds for bird flu protection?
© Wordsmith.org