Wordsmith.org
Posted By: jacobo Does it exist in English? - 03/03/07 06:44 PM
There is a word in Yiddish (machatanim) that describes the relationship between the parents of the bride and the parents of the groom. Does it exist in English?
Posted By: jacobo Re: Does it exist in English? - 03/03/07 06:48 PM
jacobo
Posted By: BranShea Re: Does it exist in English? - 03/03/07 09:56 PM
machatanim is not found in English dictionaries

JACOBO" is a name that signifies or is derived from: "the heel holder", "a supplanter".

JACOBO" is generally used as a noun (proper) -- approximately 100.00% of the time. "JACOBO" is used about 6 times out of a sample of 100 million words spoken or written in English. Its rank is based on over 700,000 words used in the English language. Some parts-of-speech are not covered due to the samples used by the British National Corpus. (note: percents less than one-hundredth of one percent have been omitted
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: Does it exist in English? - 03/03/07 10:03 PM
welcome, jacobo!

I must admit, I don't understand your second post. and also that I don't know of an English word for the concept, though there probably is. someone here will know, undoubtedly, and if not, we'll make one up.

:ма)
Posted By: jacobo Re: Does it exist in English? - 03/05/07 12:42 AM
I apologize for (1) the second post which was inadvertant as I am just learning how to use the website and (2) for my awkward use of language. What I meant was is there an English word that expresses the same relationship as the Yiddish word machatanim. My wife and I decided to invent one and started to use "marrakin" as in kinship through marriage, but not as in-laws. Any more suggestions?
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: Does it exist in English? - 03/05/07 06:38 AM
> marrakin

an American marrakin?

Posted By: ParkinT Re: Does it exist in English? - 03/05/07 07:50 PM
The relationship between the parents of the bride and the parents of the groom?
How about "polite tolerance"?
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: Does it exist in English? - 03/05/07 08:05 PM
While there is no single word for the Yiddish mekhutn, מחותּן masc., and mekhetenste, מחותּנת'טע fem., the English phrase "my child's in-laws" covers the concept. Spanish does have a term though: consuegros, cf. compadres 'somebody's godfather and godmother'. I do love the mock question, vos bistu mir far a mekhutn?" (Do I know you?, literally, Who are you to me, are our kids married). The problem with coming up with an English term is that you'll have to explain it anyway, so why not use the Yiddish word? English has plenty of those.
© Wordsmith.org