Wordsmith.org
Posted By: BrianK BC Medical Terms from single X-Bonus quote - 10/26/07 05:50 PM
X-Bonus
The greatest analgesic(1), soporific(2), stimulant, tranquilizer, narcotic (3), and to some extent even antibiotic -- in short, the closest thing to a genuine panacea (4)-- known to medical science is work. -Thomas Szasz, author, professor of psychiatry (b. 1920)

and placebo(5) (a cure for nothing) in contrast to panacea
To the contrary I find those terms apply when I'm in my cups with a good supply of nice, cold brew
Do I understand you to mean that a nice, cold brew is an
analgesic, a soporific, a stimulant, a tranquilizer, a narcotic, a panacea and a placebo?
On another point, I like the idea of promoting the x-bonus because its one of the main reasons I visit wordsmith.org each day.
A colleague often does not remember the word of the day, but can quote the x-bonus verbatim
Brian: Yes
Posted By: Jackie Re: Medical Terms from single X-Bonus quote - 10/29/07 03:20 PM
Welcome aBoard, BrianK...British Columbia? You and others can read the Xplanation of X-bonus here.
Posted By: Myridon Re: Medical Terms from single X-Bonus quote - 10/29/07 04:06 PM
While we're explaining things, what's up with the numbers/bolding the OP has added in?
Posted By: Jackie Re: Medical Terms from single X-Bonus quote - 10/29/07 04:33 PM
I thought he'd done it himself, Myr. Only thing I can think of.
Posted By: tsuwm Re: Medical Terms from single X-Bonus quote - 10/29/07 05:06 PM
Originally Posted By: Myridon
While we're explaining things, what's up with the numbers/bolding the OP has added in?

I'd have thought - actually, I did think - that he was merely high-lighting and enumerating the Medical Terms to which he (the Original Poster) was referring.
-ron o.
Posted By: Myridon Re: Medical Terms from single X-Bonus quote - 10/30/07 06:56 AM
... but why those 4 terms and the 5th term he added and not stimulant, tranquilizer and antibiotic? I don't get the "referring" you're referring to. What's the connection? What does his comment mean? I'm totally in the dark... maybe I "fell back" a week too soon?
Posted By: tsuwm Re: Medical Terms from single X-Bonus quote - 10/30/07 12:25 PM
Originally Posted By: Myridon
I don't get the "referring" you're referring to. What's the connection?

are you one of those who just ignores the Subject line??
as to the rest of your questions, speculation seems futile.
-joe (whistling in the dark) friday
Posted By: Myridon Re: Medical Terms from single X-Bonus quote - 10/30/07 03:40 PM
No, I knew all along that the first part of the original post is the X-Bonus from A Word A Day for whatever day that was which the poster oddly annotated then added "and placebo(5) (a cure for nothing) in contrast to panacea".

People seem to be replying like they understand the meaning of the annotations and the comment, but I guess they don't after all. Is the emperor naked after all?
Posted By: Jackie Re: Medical Terms from single X-Bonus quote - 10/30/07 04:00 PM
like they understand the meaning of the annotations and the comment Oh, Honey--I figured out long ago that if I strained my brain over stuff I may well never understand, I'd soon be going crazy. (And NO comments from the peanut gallery, tyvm!)
Posted By: tsuwm Re: Medical Terms from single X-Bonus quote - 10/30/07 04:00 PM
well, now you're moving towards (1)ad hominem argument.

it also occurred to me at the time that maybe he was enumerating stuff that he had to look up, but I didn't mention it because it seemed willfully attributive and potentially demeaning.
-joe (and I wouldn't do that) friday
© Wordsmith.org