|About | Media | Search | Contact|
A.Word.A.Day--reverberatePronunciation: WAV or RealAudio
reverberate (ri-VUR-buh-rayt) verb intr.
1. To resound in or as if in a succession of echoes; reecho.
2. To be repeatedly reflected, as sound waves, heat, or light.
3. To be forced or driven back; recoil or rebound.
1. To reecho (a sound).
2. To reflect (heat or light) repeatedly.
3. To drive or force back; repel.
4. To subject (a metal, for example) to treatment in a reverberatory furnace.
[Latin reverberare, reverberat-, to repel : re-, + verberare, to beat (from verber, whip.]
"As the fallout from Sunday's announcement reverberated through the world mining community, (David) Walsh had little to say to reporters as he sped away from Bre-X's Calgary headquarters." Darren Schuettler, Bre-X's maverick founder dreamed of riches, Reuters, 05 May 1997.
This week's theme: yours to discover!
X-BonusWe'd all like a reputation for generosity and we'd all like to buy it cheap. -Mignon McLaughlin