Shona:

Let them defend their OWN damned civilization! Just kidding, except as noted below.

Of course I agree wholeheratedly with you that the East has given us much. I too have read Durant.

I think what the author is really saying is to fend off barbarism AT HOME! To resist mightily those who would destroy our civilization from within. Yes, he talks about those who would destroy us from without and refers to them as the enemy. But I went back over what he wrote and I do not see where you can infer that he's trying to create a conflict between East and West. Rather he is pointing out to those who have announced themselves our enemies through repeated attacks at home and abroad that we are not gonna put up with that shit any more. Parenthetically, neither "east" nor "eastern," capitilaized or not, appear in the speech. I think the crux of his speech is that he expects US citizens to be doing things to help our country, not to hurt it.

This is not in his speech, but the following reflects my feelings and viewpoints.

Those who side with us are our friends. Those who side with our enemies are our enemies. That's the bottom line. That's the new reality. And if you harbor our enemies you will bear the brunt of your decision. In spades.

As to the nationalistic aspects of it, yes of course that sounds nationalistic, but we do happen to consider ourselves a nation.

And as to giving up ten percent of our standard of living for the good of others, pardon my language, but what the fuck do you think we've been doing for fifty years? No, we haven't bled ourselves dry, but I'd bet we're a lot closer to that than any other nation in the world. We export aid as if it were a common commodity.

No, we aren't perfect; but in the main the United States and the individuals who make up our society do the best they can to increase the living conditions of those in lesser-developed nations.

Hell, I'll put our Peace Corps up against Australia's any time.

I'm very sorry that you reacted negatively to what Halprin said. Perhaps I am becoming jingoistic in my old age, but I do believe that the United States is in the forefront in a bitter battle against tyranny, lawlessness, anarchy, and barbarianism. And if we have to fight that battle alone, we will do so.

I will not apologize for my viewpoint, nor will I become less nationalistic. If others want to wait until a radical Muslim comes along and says, "Bow to Mecca or I'm gong to kill you and all your family" that's their privilege.

And make no mistake about it, radical Muslims are the enemy of every human being in the world who does not agree with them. In the end they will kill everyone who does not knuckle under to them unless they are themselves killed first. The destruction of the West is their published goal. Disbelieve that to your peril, world.

I'm tired of all the cowardice about this issue. They are the enemy of the United States. By word and deed they have declared war against us.

I and all Americans will die in battle before we will bow down to a deity in whose name its believers commit the atrocities we have seen.

Ted

TEd