Dear AWADers,

We all know that expressions of good will buoy up our spirits. Expressions of good will, unspoken acts of kindness, benevolence, charity in many different types of applications--these are actions and thoughts that make us happy. The giver is just as blessed as the receiver. Particularly so if the giver does so quietly without boasting.

Now I have realized in the past few days that the opposite is also true of certain givers. There are beings for whom giving pain gives them pleasure. Sadists they are sometimes called. There is also a German word I cannot remember that means, essentially, feeling pleasure from knowing someone else is suffering. It's something like schedenfruade--but I can't remember the spelling now.

Anyway, this is a dark topic and I apologize, really, for causing anyone's mind to go where people mean harm to others, but, anyway: What are those words that mean getting pleasure from others' pain, troubles, and distress? Sadism, sadistic...what are others?

My good will is extended to each of you and every one of you who read here, and may any person inclined toward cruelty against any of you be turned around toward love and kindness.

Best regards,
Wordwind