My grandma used to make 'em homemade in the evenings and we'd watch Mission Impossible together while tossing 'em down. My grandpa's favorite doughnut as the KK cruller - a week old cruller was better than the freshest anything else.

We move to northern va and there's no Krispy Kreme, so I go to the local places and the Dunkin Donuts. They're not as good, really. Not what I would call a doughnut. But in the last few years I discovered one hidden away and I've also seen 'em in the local grocery. I recently introduced a friend to KKs. He says they shouldn't even call 'em doughnuts - but something much better. (Well, we argue about everthing else - why not this?)

I've never quite understood why doughnut holes are not called dough balls or something like that. I've never understood why a doughnut was called a doughnut, because it doesn't look very nuggetty. But I had a fleeting insight into the obvious yesterday and it occurred to me that it was doughnut as opposed to doughbolt. No idea of the etymology, but this seems plausible.

k