of troy says: riding is singular (generally) one person/one horse, one person/one bike, one person/one scooter, etc. you are in direct contol of the moving vehicle.

My motorcycle is a two passenger motor vehicle. For many years, our family of four went out on the two motorcycles, son with my hubby, and daughter with me.

And in case anyone is not aware, operating a motorcycle is much more difficult than operating an automobile. You have hand and foot controls to operate the clutch, the gears, the two brakes, and the accelerator. Not to mention balancing, which is not easy with a passenger. And you have the openness of the vehicle itself and you are a much smaller vehicle for other drivers to see.

I never ride alone, hubby is always ahead of me. He has a "firefly" on his headlamp which alternates between the normal light and the bright, making for a very noticeable light. I have a similar feature on my rear light. Together we make a much larger picture for other drivers to see. We also use them for pleasure, not for long trips, and usually stick to back country roads with little or no vehicular traffic.

And yes, New York State has a helmet law. I would not ride without one. We even have a helmet law here for bicycles for kids and adults.