i read somewhere the reluctance to the new split seats (two rounded pad)

As one who has put more than a few miles "in the saddle" of a bicycle, I can assure you that the so-called "comfort seats" for bikes are designed for those who have physical limitations that preclude sticking a proper saddle between their legs. Studies have shown that the most efficient position for extracting the most power from the human body long-term is the classic cyclist's position, i.e. with the torso bent at about 45 to 60 degrees, legs outstrecthed at the bottom ot the stroke to within six to ten degrees of flexion. It may hurt for a while, but if you want to go long-distance or fast on a bike, that's how you'll do it best. The human-powered airplanes all use the classic cyclist's position for their "engines." So, are the two-pad, or tractor seat-style bike seats "saddles" In the loosest of connotations, I recon so, but there IS a difference!

Bean and DXB, I think you're on the right track with regard to bucket seats! (Only the lady in the Britcom pronounces it "Bouquet!) My understanding is that it devolved from the design of WWII fighter aircraft seats, which had a "bucket" into which the parachute went, and the pilot sat on it. Those seats closely resembled post-war sports car seats, thus the name.