such a difficult question! i work across the street from one of the US immigration offices.. the line to see an immigration officer is snaking, and about half a mile long.

in past years, they used to put up a temprory shelter in the winter months, so those waiting for hours on end had some protections from the elements. but since WTC, they don't want enclosed, hard to patrol spaces close to federal building-- so everyone waits out in the cold.

both my parents are immigrants.. both brother in law and daughter in law are both lucky enought to have green cards, but a first cousin, and his jamacan wife are both illegals. in my family, immigration is still an ongoing process!

each year, it seems for the past 20, US laws governing immigration get nastier, and more difficult. and the lastest scare has resulted in round ups!

i like to think of my country as being open to all comer, to being a haven to the downtrodden. yes, we have to take some care, and not open our borders to criminals, but lately, i think it is we who have been acting criminally..

i can't begin to comment on what is happening half way arround the world.. i still haven't sorted out the facts of my own country.. and all too often i am acting on feelings..