As things unfold we'll have to look at the numbers, at how big the "handful" is.

Yep, that sounds reasonable. I noticed this from the NYT, and had meant to protest about Dr Bill’s flip use of the phrase “wet work” for describing CIA murder:
“…after the attacks, the chairman and vice chairman of the Senate intelligence committee, the chairman of the House intelligence committee and two former directors of central intelligence said the attacks justified easing some restrictions on the behavior of spy agencies. Some of those leaders also said the terrorist assault represented a colossal failure of American intelligence.
"We have got to be a hell of a lot more aggressive," said Senator Richard C. Shelby, Republican of Alabama and vice chairman of the Senate intelligence committee.
R. James Woolsey, the former director of central intelligence, said that "Washington has absolutely undergone a sea change in thinking this week."
Those comments reflect a turning point in the attitude of political leaders toward the need for sharp limits on the extent and nature of covert operations and perhaps for allowing American agents to carry out the kinds of actions that have long been prohibited as too ruthless or morally questionable.
They also reflect a strong public sentiment …/ …A New York Times/ CBS News poll conducted late last week showed that 65 percent of those questioned say American agents should be allowed to seek out and assassinate people in foreign countries who commit terrorist acts against Americans.

http://www.nytimes.com/2001/09/16/international/16INTE.html?todaysheadlines

“who commit terrorist acts” – judge, jury and executioner. Now, for me this is unambiguous: not despite but because of my revulsion at this week’s terrorism, the idea that 65% of Americans now evidently support state-conducted murder is appalling. (This goes back to the language query I raised a while ago: when is it appropriate to use the word ‘murder’ for state-sponsored assassination?)

Oh, America – you whose country was founded upon noble ideals of liberty, justice, the separation of powers… is all this to be the long-term casualty of the mob rule mentality?

I hope not. But 65% is a pretty scary handful.