several of the news broadcast, especially the radio ones, (having seen the damage, up close and personal, i don't like watching it, so i stay away from tv) have pointed out the WTC -- was just that-- a World Trade Center. many, many foriegn nationals are among the missing and injured. on UK firm lost 100 employees, most from UK. a small japanese trading company lost the entire office.. only 20 odd, but everyone.. ozzies, kiwi, south americans, many other european nationals.. pakistanies where especially hard hit, many of them kitchen staff, trapped on the very top, after the plane hit, with no way down, the stairwells in flames.

the "normal NY" is a foriegner. killing 5000+ NY'ers means every country on the globe has lost someone.

I never really think about it, but its very true, in a normal day, i met or interact with more than a dozen people of other nationalities.. i live on a 1 block long dead end street. 30 houses or so total. my neighbors hail from croatia, poland, czechaslovia, columbia, korea, pakistan, germany, ireland, austria, italy, greece, taiwan. some are like me, born in this country, with parents who imigrated, but the austrians, czechs, croats, koreans, and pakistanis, and greeks are all new imigrants. i suspect inselpeter has as rich a mix in his neighborhood.

NY is an upstart for a cosmopolitan city, but, i think it has mix of nationalities, greater than any other city in the world. (as well as the local joke, of what is the largest (or second largest) greek city, israeli city, italian city, irish city, korean city, (and so on..) the answer is always the same, NY.