there is a local number that can give out names of everyone accounted for-- hyla, i am so glad you don't need it. i am sure it will be busy.. 1 212-447-2998. it won't be able to give you any more information except to say, yes, this person is a known survivor. many of the survivors are in shelters, with limited access to phones, (and no ability to get incoming calls)telephone phone traffic into an out of manhattan, or in out NYC is still spotty- you get busy circut signals. i can get on-line
because i have a local (queens) access #.

the building that is now crumbling, is across the street to the west of WTC.. the grey bar on tsumw map is a pedestrian bridge to the building.. these building took the brunt of the explosion.. they are new, curtain wall buildings, but many of the building on the east, south, or north side of WTC are older, masonary building-- and a masonary skyscraper, has a huge, physical mass, walls can be as thick as meter at the base.

and WTC is lower.. (elevation, maybe 15 feet about sea
level, but broadway is about 30, 40 feet above sea level, a steep enough difference that at place, just two blocks south of WTC have sets of stairs, not sidewalks.. (one building provides an escalator..)

my building, (30 stories, my office 26th) was "in line " of site (that is, i didn't have to look up ..) to see first crash site (100 floor) partly that is just perspective, but i guess, our 26th floor was even with 50 floor of WTC.

but Liberty plaza was built on land fill, and was even lower..

but the good news is, sonar is picking up 3 different 'tap" patterns.. so at least 3 survivers exist.. manybe more..

in looking at tsumw map, i work (well, make that used to work!) is just off the map, just north of city hall. tomorrow i will work at alternate work site, in NJ.

some of the images on the time (mag) site, show lobbies/atriums of building in WTC-- even at ground zero, there is still an atrium with a dozen trees standing..

this is an image about 1 block --2tenths of a mile from WTC
notice the cars, and benchs, and trees in the park are mostly undamaged, but covered with 2 to 3 inches of ash/dust.
http://www.time.com/time/photoessays/rescue2/3.html