My wife is from the Philippines and speaks Tagalog and Spanish as well as some German, having lived in Europe for some time. I enjoy listening to her speak with her sister in Tagalog or their particular Filipino dialect and then picking out the English and Spanish that is included in their dialog. My father was born and raised in Germany. I was never taught any German and when, as a boy, I listened to my father and his brother converse in German I often wished that I knew it.

Both my wife and I believe however that having one main language helps keep a nation together and also helps bridge ethnic and racial differences within a nation. Having a global language, English as it turns out, will also bring the world closer together and promote understanding among peoples.

We don't believe that the U.S. Government or state governments should be removing incentives to learn English for immigrants coming to America. By requiring government documents and other communication to be printed or spoken in other languages, those who believe that they are helping immigrants are slowing their progress here in America. Surely few U.S. Citizens would consider living in another country more than a month or two without learning as much of that country's primary language as possible. The same should be the case for others coming to the U.S.

I've come to the conclusion that communication is THE key to settling problems large and small, avoiding wars, and allowing civilization to keep up with technology. Global communication over the Internet and its successors may well be the salvation of the human race.