Blind author's work recovered by forensic experts after her pen ran dry
By Alastair Jamieson, msnbc.com

LONDON -- A blind British writer failed to notice her pen had run out of ink while writing 26 pages of a book, but her lost words were recovered by police forensic staff.

Trish Vickers, who took up writing after losing her sight, uses pen and paper and is helped by a volunteer who comes by to type up her manuscripts.

Her son, Simon, also reads her work back to her during his regular visits to her home in Dorset, England.

It was during one of his visits that he discovered she had written 26 pages, but there was nothing on the paper, according to the Bridport and Lyme Regis News which first reported the story.

“We battled with various ideas until we thought of the police. We rang them and asked to speak to their fingerprint section. They said if there was anything they could do they would be happy to help. I was gobsmacked and so happy," Vickers, 59, told reporter Rene Gerryts.

Her son drove her to the county police headquarters, whose officers worked in their spare time to recreate the missing words from her manuscript.

“I think they used a combination of various lights at different angles to see if they could get the impression made by my pen. I am so happy, pleased and grateful. It was really nice of them and I want to thank them for helping me out," Vickers said.

Dorset Police were unavailable for comment.