As the curtain opens, Scribbler is standing, upstage right, talking, in mid sentence, His voice is soft, broad vowels stretched a bit too long, his final consonants are soft, Southern,and almost imperceptible. He is a tall man, about --but let's see what he is saying - -

SCRIBBLER: I'm sure glad to see all off you folks from the AWAD Board here tonight. And special thanks to you,Jackie, for all of those nice things you said to me. That was a long list, but I'm glad you left out "Trustworthy, Loyal, Brave, Clean, and Reverent" or the Boy Scouts mighta tried to take me back to see if I coulda moved up from Second Class Scout. Well, as I tol' y'all a minit ago, I gotta go backstage to see if I can help.

Exit - downstage right. House lights blink twice, then remain off. Noises off. A rustle of papers - a clearing of a throat. No one is onstage, but there is a Voice heard from offstage. Is it Scribbler's? Surely it is, but different, richer, fuller. A theatre voice, a radio voice without trace of a regional accent. Listen --

Voice: And Jackie, my dear, I did so very much admire those clever things you said in your response to Alex Williams's Reintarnation post of 1/29. Such wit- Such verve - Bravo! That Reintarnation schtick looks like so much fun that I think that I shall have a new run at it. But if I do, or when I do, it will only be in imitation of your talent. You know they say that "imitation is the sincerest form of flattery," but Oscar Wilde, the consummate epigrammist, refined the phrase to its essence. "Imitation," said the genius Mr. Wilde, "is the Tribute that Mediocrity pays to Genius." Those words always sit very close to my Scribbling heart as a constant reminder, when, as Reader, I read the works of authors I admire. In consequence of all of which, Dear Lady,permit me to dedicate, as Tribute to your inspiring Genius, my future Reintarnation(Newlogism) post to you. Know that I am, and shall remain, ever your ....

Mediocrity (and, as well, Scribbler)

All is quiet. House lights go up. The crowd begins to shuffle out. Then another Voice from ... Somewhere?.. An old, creaking, high-pitched voice, British or perhaps -- "Carry on, old chap, and the Luck O' the Irish to you. Remember, you have promises to keep and reams to write before you sleep."