Ladymoon wrote : On the subject of words, take the word haole, which some people say means foreigner or more specifically white people. But means roughly without respect for others. My husband says that really is a huge insult in the land of Aloha.
--------------------------------------------------
Sorry for the late reply, and with respect, I believe your husband has been misinformed.
Haole -- As explained to me by a full blooded Hawaiian of ancient lineage : Originally the indigenous people of Hawaii greeted each other by nearly pressing noses and an exchange of breath. The courtesy has become the Hawaiin embrace greeting in modern times although some Native Hawaiians keep up the old way among themselves and with people who understand the custom.
When Westerners came to the Islands they did not exchange breath and the term haole means "without breath" subsequently, not Hawaiian, stranger, and then also Westerner.
In the booklet, "Asian Pacific Americans A Handbook on How to Cover and Portray Our Nation's Fastest Growing Minority Group" put out for guidance of the media by National Conference of Christians and Jews, Asian American Journalists Association and the Association of Asian Pacific American Artists, the word "haole" is defined thus :
haole (hah-oh-leh) - Hawaiian term for a white person. It originally meant foreigners. Not necessarily derogatory.
I have a 1990 address for anyone interested in obtaining a copy.
When I worked in Hawaii for the Office of Hawaiian Affairs there were three of us on the staff who had *no* Hawaiian blood. We jokingly called ourselves "The Token Haoles."
The Native Hawaiians and Hawaiians of mixed blood used the term haole - but the context of the use made *all* the difference.
I received nothing but kindness and respect from the other staff and the Trustees and Administrator.
I was given a Hawaiian name by my Hawaiian friends at the office of which I am very proud and which I had legally incorporated into my name by Deed Poll.
Crazy Old Lady Haole
wow