I'm already involved in too many discussion Lists; but this might be a thread in which I could become interested. I know that the question about the number of languages known was directed at another person. However, through the years -- and there are a few of them, I have been exposed to and have shown in the past a certain facility for German, Spanish, Japanese, Greek (Koine') and Hebrew (Old Testament) in addition to the native American English.
I grew up in the household of my paternal grandmother who was German-speaking. Her father was from Bern and her mother was from Hamburg. Each immigrated to the USA in the 1850s as children & met in catechism class at St. John's Lutheran Church in Chester, Illinois. My screen name is taken in part from my grandmother's patronym, Von Gruenigen. She spoke both High and Low German. I have her Luther's Small Catechism and her Hymnal which she received when she was in Confirmation classes in the 1890s.
I have lost most of my spoken German; but can still read bits and pieces of it.
Today is New Years Day. I miss having the Herring Salad, wursts, and Stollen that my grandmother would prepare for this time of year.

Vaughn (Anglicized Von) Hathaway