Now, one of our members has helpfully suggested that it's crazy to count keystrokes or complain about the time spent waiting for some function or other to execute, or compose macros to perform tedious input. But all that time Bill causes you to waste sitting back watching the monitor update or retyping a sentence because you had accidentally hits the Caps Lock (cleverly situated just above the Shift), can really mount up

In this connection, without my permission, Bill or one of his cohorts has gratuitously added to one of my taskbars a button called "This is Spam." Pushing it causes a selected item from your inbox to be transferred to the Norton Antispam Folder, which you can empty later any time with a single keystroke. Wonderful, I thought, until I discovered that unlike the instantaneous delete button, it takes up to five seconds for the new button to perform the transfer

Well you ask, what's five seconds. Well, I reply, some folks of my acquaintance receive hundreds of spam every day, each one requiring one keystroke to transfer, entailing over a period of only ten years, easily one million keystrokes occupying five million seconds of your valuable screen-sucking time

The interested reader may wish to calculate that in minutes, hours, or days spent repeatedly hitting the button and then sitting back waiting for action

dalehileman