[After a district in New York City known for vice, crime, corruption, extortion, graft, etc. It received its nickname from the choicest part of the meat, alluding to the luxurious diet of corrupt police members getting an easy income from bribes.]

I certainly hadn't known this. I have to say, I think police or any official corruption, is terrible. People just shouldn't act like that. (Sorry, Helen--another reason for me to not want to ever visit New York City: for all I know, the nearest cop will have been bribed to look the other way while somebody mugs or murders me...)

Speaking of curmudgeonly opinions: I also have to say that, while I am terribly sorry that so many people from our Gulf Coast have no place to live, I hope that Louisville doesn't get the criminal types who, for ex., shot at the rescue choppers--we have quite enough criminals here already, tyvm.

We are doing a lot for them, though, whoever they all are. Even though we're 700 miles from New Orleans, we have several hundred victims who have been brought here, and donations have poured in. One lady who was interviewed on TV last night made me smile, though her situation was far from amusing. She said she'd been told it gets cold here in the winters (after being asked if she were considering relocating to here), and she said, "Cold...that means you have to put on a light jacket, right?" She'd been quite shocked to learn that we can have actual snow on the ground.