last week Maureen Doud pointed out that out spoken women got labeled as harridan's.. an explained the root of harridan
this got me thinking about the word and other similar words for women (don't worry, i am also thinking about words for men.. weasal, goat, etc) and was surprized at the animal relationships.. here are few i found.. we could add to the list..
(i think, even in times past, women --who survived childbirth-- were likely to also survive husbands.. and old women were more common than old men.. but thats because i can't think of any disparaging terms for old men.. )

Main Entry: har·ri·dan

Function: noun
Etymology: perhaps modification of French haridelle old horse, gaunt woman

Main Entry: 1nag
Pronunciation: 'nag
Etymology: Middle English nagge; akin to Dutch negge small horse
: HORSE; especially : one that is old or in poor condition

Main Entry: 1shrew
Pronunciation: 'shrü, esp Southern 'srü
Etymology: Middle English shrewe evil or scolding person, from Old English scrEawa shrew (animal)
1 : any of a family (Soricidae) of small chiefly nocturnal insectivores related to the moles and distinguished by a long pointed snout, very small eyes, and velvety fur
2 : an ill-tempered scolding woman
- shrew·like /-"lIk/ adjective

Main Entry: crone
Pronunciation: 'krOn
Etymology: Middle English, from Old North French carogne, literally, carrion, from (assumed) Vulgar Latin caronia -- more at CARRION
: a withered old woman

not a delightful collection,huh?

i wonder if there are any words out there used to describe old women that are flattering (or even neutral!)