Say, Wordwind, you are quite the teacher. Your enlivening questions make me want to raise my hand whether I know the correct answer or not. And once again I not, but this time I have a plan...tomorrow I'm going to visit with an old farmer in Chilton County (About 60 miles north of Monroeville) and will ask him to show me some rabbit tobacco. Great idea, huh?

This... http://www.biosurvey.ou.edu/okwild/rabbitob.html

... is like the rabbit tobacco that I never smoked in my youth. The plant grew mostly in grassless soil, often near trees. The leaves were fuzzy and about five inches long. To make a smoke the plant's dried brown leaves were gently crumbled into a store-bought slip of white tobacco paper and then rolled into a proper cigarette.

But some of my know-it-all friends back then also called the Gnaphalium obtusifolium plant "rabbit tobacco" as well.

This plant is high stemmed and tall and would have likely grown in the surrounding weeds of a yard that could be swept.

I, myself, was a good boy and never smoked until I started going out with girls at age twenty-three.

But one time I did smoke an Indian Cigar, which was crafted from the long seed pods of the Southern Catalpa tree. First we boys toasted the pods slowly in a oven until the green pods turned a respectable brown. Next we cut the long pods into little cheroots and then smoked the foul smelling Indian sticks until we all turned green. What fun!

Will report back Sunday.