mag[nate 7mag4nat, 3nit8
n.
5ME < LL magnas (pl. magnates), great man < L magnus, great: see MAGNI36 a very important or influential person in any field of activity, esp. in a large business
From a review of James A. Michener's book Poland:
"In this book, Michener describes a nation with three different reactions to those events. Most of
the magnate class (most powerful and wealthy) either actively supported or were completely ambivalent to the destruction of Poland.

magneto
n.,
pl. 3tos 5see MAGNET6 a dynamo in which one or more permanent magnets produce the magnetic field; esp., a small machine of this sort connected with and run by an internal-combustion engine, used to generate the electric current providing a spark for the ignition

When I was a boy, outboard motors had a magneto ignition. They were fiendishly tricky to start.

ma[ieu[tic 7ma y1t4ik8
adj.
5Gr maieutikos < maia, midwife, orig., mother: see MAIA6 designating or of the Socratic method of helping a person to bring forth and become aware of latent ideas or memories

This word has been discussed before, but it is easy to forget, and worth a repeat.

maile -

For a more masculine touch, the Maile Lei is the Hawaiian
Vine that is traditionally worn by men. It has an exotic
tropical forest fragrance and is worn "open". Choose our
Single (3-strand) or Double (6-strand) Maile Lei.

main[spring 73spri%#8
n.
1 the principal spring in a clock, watch, or other mechanism; driving spring, whose steady uncoiling keeps the mechanism running
2 the chief motive or cause
How things have changed. Today's kids are deprived of the valuable educational experience of taking apart a cheap alarm clock and learning to re-assemble it.
When I was a teen-ager commuting to highschool by train and neeced a wristwatch
adequate to prevent missing the last train, the watch cost three weeks pay lugging
castings in a foundry. Today's kids can buy a better watch for a couple hours' pay.

ma[jol[i[ca 7m! j9l4i k!8
n.
5It maiolica < Maiolica, MAJORCA, where produced6
1 a variety of Italian pottery, enameled, glazed, and richly colored and decorated
2 pottery like this

majoon - For dessert, lovers may wish to nibble majoon in bed. It is a traditional Moroccan sweet made of powdered hemp, honey, fruit, nuts and spices, with the occasional addition of powdered lizard. Bon appetit!

maladroit
adj.
5Fr: see MAL3 & ADROIT6awkward; clumsy; bungling

-SYN AWKWARD
mal#a[droit$ly
adv.
mal#a[droit4ness
n.
malaise
n.
5Fr < mal, bad (see MAL3) + aise, EASE6
1 a vague feeling of physical discomfort or uneasiness, as early in an illness
2 a vague awareness of moral or social decline
a[laise 7ma laz$, m!38
n.
5Fr < mal, bad (see MAL3) + aise, EASE6
1 a vague feeling of physical discomfort or uneasiness, as early in an illness
2 a vague awareness of moral or social decline

malapropos
adj.
5Fr mal [ propos: see MAL3 & APROPOS6at an awkward or improper time or place; inopportune; inappropriate
adv.
in an inopportune or inappropriate manner

malefic
adj.
5L maleficus < malefacere: see MALEFACTOR6 causing disaster; harmful; evil

malevolence
n.
5ME malyvolence < OFr malivolence < L malevolentia6 the quality or state of being malevolent; malice; spitefulness; ill will
malihini
n.
5Haw6 a newcomer to Hawaii

malison
n.
5ME < OFr maleison < L maledictio: see MALEDICTION6 [Archaic] a curse

The Malmignatte is an extremely poisonous spider. In the
southern Italian town of Taranto, people who had been
bitten by a spider would dance the Tarantella, a wild
dance that was either a cure for the bite or simply the
result of it, depending on which story you believe. The
spider responsible was for a long time thought to be the
conspicuously hairy Tarantula, a relatively harmless
creature, but the real culprit was the much smaller
Malmignatte.

Malthusian
adj.
of Malthus and his theory that the world population tends to increase faster than the food supply with inevitable disastrous results unless natural restrictions, such as war, famine, and disease reduce the population or the increase is checked by moral restraint

Malthusianism#
n.

mammon
n.
5ME mammon(as) < LL(Ec) < Gr(Ec) mammbnas (see Matt. 6:24) < Aram mambna, riches, prob. < ma'mon, that which is made secure or deposited < 'aman, to trust6 [often M3] riches regarded as an object of worship and greedy pursuit; wealth or material gain as an evil, more or less deified
mam4mon[ism#
n.
manacle
n.
5ME manicle < OFr < L manicula, dim. of manus, hand: see MANUAL6
1 a handcuff; fetter or shackle for the hand
2 any restraint Usually used in pl.
vt.
3cled, 3cling
1 to put handcuffs on; fetter
2 to restrain; hamper