Next Thread
Print Thread
#99420 03/25/03 08:08 PM
W
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
Oh, wwh! I found a site with philosophical writings--great fun browsing there. And, in reading about the difference between jealousy and envy, came across your old friend fungible. Thought you and other AWADers might enjoy reading the passage:

"Ordinary language tends to conflate envy and jealousy. The philosophical consensus is that these are distinct emotions.[2] While it is linguistically acceptable to say that one is jealous upon hearing about another's vacation, say, it has been plausibly argued that one is feeling envy, if either, in such a case. Both envy and jealousy are three-place relations; but this superficial similarity conceals an important difference. Jealousy involves three parties, the subject, the rival, and the beloved; and the jealous person's real locus of concern is the beloved—the person whose affection he is losing or fears losing—not his rival. Whereas envy is a two party relation, with a third relatum that is a good (albeit a good that could be a particular person's affections); and the envious person's locus of concern is the rival. Hence, even if the good that the rival has is the affection of another person, there is a difference between envy and jealousy.[3] Roughly, for the jealous person the rival is fungible and the beloved is not fungible. So he would be equally bothered if the beloved were consorting with someone else, and would not be bothered if the rival were. Whereas in envy it is the other way around. Because envy is centrally focused on competition with the rival, the subject might well be equally bothered if the rival were consorting with a different (appealing) person, but would not be bothered if the ‘good’ had gone to someone else (with whom the subject was not in competition). Whatever the ordinary meaning of the terms ‘envy’ and ‘jealousy,’ these considerations demonstrate that these two distinct syndromes need to be distinguished."

http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/envy/#1

#99421 03/27/03 09:41 AM
old hand
old hand
So he would be equally bothered if the beloved were consorting with someone else - In my experience, this is rather an oversimplification: the degree of jealousy is influenced by the attitude of the rival. But maybe this is because jealousy and envy tend to occur as a mixed syndrome.

#99422 03/27/03 12:59 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Yes! Here's the link to our previous, and wonderful, discussion of jealousy and envy. Check particularly the posts of my long-lost (sob) Nicholas and my beloved Father Steve.
http://wordsmith.org/board/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=words&Number=28363

P.S.--If anyone feels it's worth bringing that thread back up to the top, go ahead and make a post in it. I'd love to see it all again, but won't make everyone go through it if I'm the only one who'd like to.

#99423 03/27/03 01:50 PM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear WW: This distinction between words is an excellent example of what I woulld like to see more of in AWADtalk.
I had not noticed the difference before, because, of course,
I have never been either envious or jealous. What, never? No, never. So jealousy involves a rivalry, envy does not.
And if one has several rivals, they could be thought ogf as fungible. It would be fun to turn them into giblets.

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,328
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,273 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,539
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith