W
wwh Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
monopsony nc8
n.,
pl. 3nies 5MON(O)3 + Gr opsbnia, a purchase of fish, catering < opsbnein, to buy victuals < opson, cooked food, fish < o3, with + base of psbmos, a morsel6 Econ. a situation in which there is only one buyer for a particular commodity or service

monoxenous (mo·nox·e·nous) (mo-nok¢s[schwa]-n[schwa]s) [mono- + xen- + -ous] homoxenous; requiring only one host in the life cycle; said of certain parasites.

montane
adj.
of or designating a cool, moist ecological zone usually located near the timberline and usually dominated by evergreen trees

Montessorian - of, following, or relating to a systemf for training young children empphasizing free physical activity, informal and individual instruction, early development of writing and reading, and extended sensory motor training.

Monuron is a nonselective systemic herbicide which inhibits photosynthesis. ...

moray
n.
5Port moreia < L muraena, kind of fish < Gr myraina6 any of a family (Muraenidae, order Anguilliformes) of voracious eels of warm seas, characterized by brilliant coloring and found esp. among coral reefs: the Mediterranean moray is valued as a food fish In full moray eel
“They have killed the Earl of Moray, and laid him on the green……”

morbidity tc8
n.,
pl. 3ties
1 state, quality, or instance of being morbid
2 the rate of disease or proportion of diseased persons in a given locality, nation, etc.

morbilli
n.pl.
5ML, pl. of morbillus, dim. of L morbus, disease6 early term for MEASLES

Mornay - a cheese flavored cream sauce

morosophist - Yahoo! Search turned up only the spelling bee list, which gave no definition

morpheme
n.
5Fr morph\me < Gr morphc, form + Fr 3\me, as in phon\me, PHONEME6 the smallest meaningful unit or form in a language: it may be an affix (Ex.: un3 in undo or 3er in doer) or a base (Ex.: do in undo)
mor[phe$mic
adj.
mor[phe$mi[cal[ly
adv.

morphogenesis
n.
5ModL: see 3MORPH & 3GENESIS6Zool. the structural changes occurring during the development of an organism, organ, or part
mor#pho[ge[net4ic 73j! net4ik8
adj.

mortmain
n.
5ME morte-mayne < OFr mortemain < ML mortua manus, lit., dead hand < fem. of L mortuus, pp. of mori, to die (see MORTAL) + manus, hand: see MANUAL6
1 a transfer of lands or houses to a corporate body, such as a school, church, or charitable organization, for perpetual ownership
2 such ownership

motitation - a quivering motion (def. given by spelling bee)

motocross
n.
5Fr < motocyclette, motorcycle + E cross-country6 a race for lightweight motorcycles over a cross-country course with obstacles

muchacha 7m1 )94)98
n.,
pl. 3chas 73)9s8 5Sp6 a girl or young woman
mu[cha4cho 73)/o8, pl. 3chos 73ch/os8,
n.masc.

muguets --- who will buy my violets?

Les origines du muguet du 1 er mai

Le muguet est originaire d'Asie, du japon plus précisément.

Cette plante est connue et acclimatée en France depuis le moyen- âge. Le muguet a longtemps été le symbole du renouveau et du printemps, il était donc logique qu'il devienne symbole du bonheur et porte-bonheur. Le 1er mai 1561 Charles IX instaura la tradition d'offrir du muguet le 1er mai en guise de porte bonheur.

Ce n'est que vers 1907, puis en 1936 que le muguet est associé à la fête du travail.

La date du 1er mai comme jour de la fête des travailleurs et des travailleurs fut adoptée en 1889, au congrès de la fondation de la IIe Internationale à Paris. Cette date fut choisie en mémoire des morts de la manifestation du 1er mai 1886 à Chicago qui demandait l'instauration de la journée de 8 heures.

A Paris lors d'une manifestation en 1890, les manifestants défilèrent en portant à la boutonnière un triangle rouge symbolisant leurs revendications, à savoir la division idéale de la journée en 3 huit : travail - sommeil - loisirs. Ce triangle fut remplacé par la fleur d'églantine puis par le muguet cravaté de rouge. C'est depuis ce jour que fête du travail et muguet furent associés.

Ce n'est qu'en 1936 que l'on retrouve les premières ventes de muguet à l'occasion du premier mai. La chanson "il est revenu le temps du muguet ..." est elle aussi associée à ce jour.

Edit: I found it very difficult to get definition of "muguet". I could find it used in dozens of sites, particularly names of streets. I found pictures but they were not clearly identified. After many fruitless attempts, I found the definition - lilies of the valley, not violets as I had thought. I even found one place where a woman with a breast problem used it to mean part of the breast, possibly the nipple. Those online French dictionaries are a big disappointment.
It also took me a long time to find name of the "fleur-de-lis".

#99033 03/20/03 04:42 AM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
Phrontistery (http://phrontistery.50megs.com/m.html has:

morosoph learned fool

I'm sure I've seen morosophist before somewhere but I can't remember where.

Bingley

Bingley
#99034 03/20/03 02:33 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
[a. F. morosophe (Rabelais), ad. Gr. - foolishly wise, f. - foolish +
wise.]

a. In Rabelais: A ‘wise fool’, jester. (Cf. FOOL-SAGE.) Obs. b. One who is ‘foolishly wise’; a foolish pedant or would-be philosopher.

a1693 Urquhart's Rabelais III. xlvii. 377 Our unique Morosoph,..the Lunatick Triboulet. 1751 CAMBRIDGE Scribl. I. 367, I mark'd where'er the Morosoph appear'd..How Young and Old, Virgins and Matrons kiss'd The footsteps of the blest Gymnosophist. 1818 T. MOORE Fudge Fam. Paris ii. 41 The praises and the trophies Thou gain'st from Morosophs and Sophis. 1835 Fraser's Mag. XI. 369 Those who follow the sect of that illustrious morosoph.

So morosophist rare., in the same sense; morosophy, foolish pretence of wisdom.

1594 Mirr. Policy (1599) 139 As I haue more largely shewed in my Morosophie in these verses. 1610 Histriomastix II. 56 That..I may..leave this Idle contemplation To rugged Stoicall Morosophists. 1617 COLLINS Def. Bp. Ely II. Contents 6 The Bishops exposition..is defended against the Adioynders intricate Morosophies. 1794 MATHIAS Purs. Lit. (1798) 336 Some Morosophists of the Society. 1870 K. H. DIGBY Halcyon Hours 255 Morosophists who love to boast Are those of course who scorn the most This holy
maid.

not to be confused with sophomore..
(a preview of future wwftd?! 8)

#99035 03/20/03 02:49 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
For what says Quinapalus? 'Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.'

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,322
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 517 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,535
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith