Next Thread
Print Thread
#98167 03/09/03 06:10 PM
W
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
Why might have Tennessee Williams used "Jelkes" as Hannah Jelkes' surname in The Night of the Iguana

Coffin is a good name for her aged grandfather, and certainly Ms. Fellows, who's a lesbian, but hasn't come face-to-face with the fact, is another well-chosen name.

But Jelkes? For the spiritual Ms. Jelkes? I can't find a thing online or in the Britannica. Rev. Shannon refers to her as a 'female Budhha.'

Anyway, I'm intrigued by the play and would really like to ferret out a plausible reason for Williams' having named his artist-in-residence in this play as he did.

P.S. I put this question down in here with etymology because I've asked too many questions this week in Q&A.

#98168 03/10/03 05:21 AM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
I googled Jelkes. It seems to be a Dutch name. One link was about Dion Fortune's "The Goat-Foot God", which had a character called Mr. Jelkes, the owner of an occult bookshop who was trying to set up a centre for occult studies in an abandoned monastery. Dion Fortune was a novelist and writer on occultism in the 1920s and 1930s. I don't know if that helps.

Bingley

Bingley
#98169 10/31/03 01:12 AM
W
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
In reply to:

One link was about Dion Fortune's "The Goat-Foot God", which had a character called Mr. Jelkes, the owner of an occult bookshop who was trying to set up a centre for occult studies in an abandoned monastery.

Wouldn't that be the oddest thing, Bingley, if Williams named the ethereal, artistic Miss Jelkes after a character associated with the occult--and writer, too!? The women in the play are different facets of the female--the female torn into three guises. But Shannon is clearly drawn to the spiritual Miss Jelkes--and she completely lacks the sexual spart that is part of the conjunction of Shannon's fall. He is such an overtly sexual--yet at the same time sexually repressed character. And Miss Jelkes is of the Spirit--the real Spirit--the Spirit that the Church has lost in Shannon's view.

So, I wonder about your Jelkes theory. There may be a bit of truth in it if it could be shown that Williams was interested in Dion Fortune.

Of course, Miss Jelkes jilts Shannon...and there's that 'j' and 'l' connection, too.

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 442 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith