Print Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
#95900 02/17/03 01:20 AM
W
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
I've been very sceptical about intelligence tests given to dogs--remember reading about one in which it had been determined that the standard-sized French poodle was the smartest dog.

Dogs aside--since dogs are pretty smart, but not as smart as cats--which mammal is probably the least intelligent? There's bound to be one dumb-as-dirt mammal out there. Oppossums?

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
excepting the obvious, o' course?

formerly known as etaoin...
S
sjm Offline
old hand
old hand
S
>There's bound to be one dumb-as-dirt mammal out there.

Texan Republicans?

W
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
I know this ain't science, et. I'm just wondering and considering various mammals that it could be argued are dumb-as-dirt.

Now chickens seem to be pretty dumb, although I've read about how smart they are. Ha! As if! But bird brains--though I certainly respect bird brains--have been made light of many a time, even if erroneously.

But back to mammals. What is a good candidate for a dumb mammal, even if also an erroneous proposition?

I had a pretty dumb dog once upon time. You'd tell that dog to sit and that dog would lie down. If you said, "No, sit!" That dog would roll over and suddenly get up and put its paws on your shoulders. It would do everything but sit. It would go through all kinds of tricks while I asked it to sit. I sure laughed at that dog a lot. Maybe it just liked the sound of laughter. I don't know. It was a great dog, though pretty dumb. The reason it was a great dog is because it was affectionate, and affection carries a lot of value in my book.

But back to truly dumb mammals. Which one is probably the dumbest?

It wouldn't be the shrew. I'd expect shrews to be shrewd.

Lemmings? Are lemmings pretty dumb compared to other mammals?

W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear WW: Animal intelligence is very difficult to measure. I have always been very fond of cats,
ut do not share your high regard for their intelligence. I remember a psychologist telling me that
pigs were so smart they couldn't be used as test animals, because they so quickly figured out
what the test was about they gave very misleading results. I think that intelligence in animals is
likely to parallel closely the benefits they derive from it. I think I might nominate your pal the
hippopotamus, as among the most stupid, because it has virtually no predators to fear and hardly
any decisions to make. Now it occurs to me that the elephant also with no predators except man
to fear is quite smart. At least it can be taught taught, and allegedly has a proverbial memory.

Whi;ch reminds me of the legend about the mule that remembered for many years having been
tormented,until it finally got a chance at revenge. I'll have to go see if I can find that story.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Never underestimate the power of human stupidity.

--Robert A. Heinlein

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Aside from homo sapiens, I think it could well be the hippopotamus. now don't start on their "hooves" again, sjm!

S
sjm Offline
old hand
old hand
S
I think it could well be the hippopotamus. now don't start on their "hooves" again, sjm!

'Twere Oliphaunts what I was ranting about hooves, not happypottymouses. Sheesh!

D
dxb Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D
The stupidest mammal has to be the ai because he needs three to do what the unau manages with only two. And that's not a lot.

Hippopotamus? We're not back with Flanders and Swann again are we?

Hippopotamus? Reminds me of my favourite cartoon. Shows two hippos nostril deep in a jungle pool, just floating idly. One says, "You know, I keep thinking its Thursday."

W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
And there is no excuse for hippos getting thirsty.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 676 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith