W
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I'll expound but I ain't voting.

The hyphen is a transitional form between double words and single words, e.g., base ball, base-ball, baseball. In the case of hubbub there was no initial form hub bub

M
journeyman
journeyman
M
I vote for #1, mainly because I agree with Juan that there is too much hyphenventilating already!!!

And I think I should get weighted credit as I actually use the word, on occasion.

mm

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Gimme a - !

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
>tsuwm doesn't like the double-b...

wherever did you get that notion? furthermoreover and in the second place, I emphatically agree with Faldo: there never was a hub-bub. and finally, hubbub looks more like an uproar than does hub-bub!

A universal hubbub wilde Of stunning sounds and voices all confus'd. Milton, Paradise Lost

-joe (the Expounder) friday

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
No hyphen. It's never had one, and shouldn't ever have one in the future either. And aside from that, hyphenating it slows it down too much.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
So, lessee...what you're saying then, is that the introduction of a hyphen into any standing word structure for clarity's sake is taboo? That unless a hyphen is a part of the transition of two words forming into one word (as per baseball), then hypens are illegal? Well, let's see what one of the foremost coiners of newly-hypenated () words for the sake of gaining poetic imagery, a more original semantic nuance, Mr. Dylan Thomas, had to say...oh, and this just so happens to be from a "minor" work of his you may or may not know, Under Milkwood, the opening:

To begin at the beginning:
It is Spring, moonless night in the small town, starless and bible-black, the cobblestreets silent and the hunched, courters'-and-rabbits' wood limping invisible down to the
sloeblack, slow, black, crowblack, fishingboat-bobbing sea.

So, unless these instances are on their way to becoming, let's say, courters'andrabbits' and fishingboatbobbingsea, I guess they're taboo as well?

And the only thing worse then complaining about a writer's strategically-chosen hyphen is for an editor to place a hypen in an author's word without any consultation...but we won't mention any names, tswum.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
>a bit more from Dylan Thomas:

From where you are, you can hear, in Cockle Row in the spring, moonless night, Miss Price, dressmaker and sweetshop-keeper, dream of her lover, tall as the town clock tower, Samson-syrup-gold-maned, whacking thighed and piping hot, thunderbolt-bass'd and barnacle-breasted flailing up the cockles with his eyes like blowlamps and scooping low over her lonely loving hotwaterbottled body ...<

--Under Milkwood

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
hotwaterbottled??

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
and a bit more from Mr. Thomas:

P. C. Atilla Rees, ox-broad, barge-booted, stomping out of Handcuff House in a heavy beef-red huff, black-browed under his damp helmet...

--Under Milkwood

Notice how in the the first-quoted excerpt Thomas chooses to use a hyphen for bible-black, but not for sloeblack or crowblack?...insert or delete hyphens as you will...poet's perogative!

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,328
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 783 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,539
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith