About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
#92064 01/31/03 09:45 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Us more modern types just have little CD-ROMs that are impervious to any treatment they'll get in an airport.

TEd
#92065 01/31/03 09:54 PM
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I'll let you know how I get on with my laptop when I fly to Zild via LA next week. I unnerstand that I have to "enter" the US to transit from Britain to Zild these days. That'll probably mean luggage searches. Hey, though, I get to visit Fiji - well, Nadi Airport - for an hour on my way down. Bula bula. I may just climb off the plane and find me a resort on the west coast of Viti Levu for a month...

- Pfranz

#92066 02/01/03 12:54 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Good grief--how come you can't just fly to Asia, and then on?

M
old hand
old hand
M
LATEST NEWS: EMERALD WORDAPALOOZA

Being a reformed whore and a former fagger I can be as insufferable as the most self-righteous of abstenators but this (AP) report today blew my dress up big time.

Say it ain't so...

(AP) Belfast Today Irish Parliament banned smoking in all public places throughout the emerald isles, including all hotels and bars. A page has turned prissily against the storied charm of the Irish pub.

Oh well maybe big brother O'reilly will let us chew gum.

W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
blew my dress up big time.........choke!

The blue one or the pink? You gonna wear it in the pubs, milum? Your reformation could be abbreviated... You and Faldage and the High Heel Club here on AWAD...lawdie, lawdie!

#92069 02/01/03 02:24 AM
M
old hand
old hand
M
what we do is pull out the film at check point and hand it over to the 'airport security type', outside the machine

Yerrrrsse, I used to do that too - but with success rather like my idioms/spelling/dialect: inconsistent! ('tis part of me charm, doncha think?!)

Examples:

1. In 1997, leaving from Shermetyevo I (Moscow), I asked a Russian (at least, I assume she was Russian) lassie to hand-check my films; she flat out refused. I was well put out by this, particularly as it soon transpired that everyone on my flight had been sent to the wrong gate, and we all had to go through the x-ray palaver twice. Film was unharmed, nonetheless. Whew.

2. On my way to Australia for a 10-month trip in 1998, I asked airport security at Pearson International (Toronto) to hand-check my film. The lassie there patiently looked at each of my 75 rolls of film (hey, I got a bulk discount at my fave camera store, okay?!) without complaint.

3. Flying Isle of Man to Bristol this past summer, I was even more put out to discover that ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING (except me and the clothes I stood up in) had to go through the x-ray machine. At this point I had been letting my fillums go through, having given up the battle (experiences at earlier airports in this trip, doncha know), but I had hoped to preserve my medications. Not a chance. Mentioned this to the friend who met me in Bristol and he said, "Well, how are they supposed to know it's not plastique?!" (little tiny blue pills, little tiny beige pills - go figger) Mind you, this *was* just a day or so after a Ryan Air flight in Scandinavia caught a baddie trying to board, so I think security everywhere got very tight for a little while, at least.

So now I bend to the will of Allah, apparently, and all my fillum goes through the x-ray machines. As long as they don't x-ray me myself, as they're now beginning to threaten to do, I don't care anymore.

R
addict
addict
R
Today Irish Parliament banned smoking in all public places throughout the emerald isles, including all hotels and bars. A page has turned prissily against the storied charm of the Irish pub.

Yep, it's so. But it won't come into effect until January 2004. We'll wait and see what adjustments are made to the legislation on the meantime.

USners. Could you all get together, please, and form a sub-committee to organise meeting up, flights to Ireland and travelling on - not to mention car pools from Shannon/Dublin/Knock - and money exchange? I've received a few queries about this from several people but there's nought that I can do about it from my nerve centre here.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Howye fokes

Haven't had time ta read all the posts yet. Anyways, I did spot that ya had ta hire yer own towls. Don't worry, I'll knick a few from some of the posher hotels in the area, like Ashfred Cassel and rint them out ta ye fer knock down prices. Also, me pet human sez I can't go on me own, so they want ta tag along as well - can ya bring pets with ya? MadDogTed has being banned outa County Galway and I'm wonderen if someone can organise a bit of a pardon fer him or somethin like that or at least fix him up with a disguise of sorts.

Ye say that this Lettermore place is an island - will I need a visa or will I have ta get me shots or somethin. I've heard all about them mountainy island men and I'm a bit nervous.

Don't ferget yer rumbrellas in case it rains - I can only knick so many towls.

Be seein ya

GT

R
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
R
Good news, this: - 100% increase in the number of indigenous Irish at the Emerald WaP!! Plus the humans that you are going to bring with you, of course.

No problems about MadDogTed, GT. Rubrick and I have arranged a fine disguise for him. Behind the stone wall 4¼ Irish miles out of Dublin, you will find a brown paper parcel containing:
1 Bowler Hat
1 tightly rolled umbrella
1 Black Overcoat
1 Sash
1 very large drum

Put these on and his own Mother won't recognise him - and he can be sure of a warm welcome in Galway.

R
addict
addict
R
Put these on and his own Mother won't recognise him - and he can be sure of a warm welcome in Galway.

Alternatively, just affect a Carrrk accent and say that you're Roy Keane. An equally warm welcome can be expected......

Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 302 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith