About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
#9182 11/01/00 01:16 PM
old hand
old hand
Whatever it may be - one virtual Hernando's coming up for Jackie! Ayleur extraordinaire

cheer

the sunshine warrior

#9183 11/01/00 01:42 PM
X
X
>>This sounds exactly like the Von Trapp children telling Maria that do-re-mi means nothing.

Isn't it a bit pretentious to compare ayleur with do-re-mi?

#9184 11/01/00 03:21 PM
J
jmh Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
J
Mmmm this is getting interesting I love a scrap.
I've given up trying to think of a name that anyone will agree with ages ago. Wake me up if you ever reach any kind of consensus.

#9185 11/01/00 03:57 PM
old hand
old hand
Isn't it a bit pretentious to compare ayleur with do-re-mi?

Pretentious? Moi? Dah-ling, that is too divine. You haven't seen me do pretentious yet. Tendentious, yes. Odious, yes. But pretentious? O o o that Shakespeherian rag. It's elegant, so intelligent...

#9186 11/01/00 04:11 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Pretentious? Moi? Dah-ling, that is too divine.

I am rolling! Oui, toi! Dahling, you ah
tee-yoo funny! You, with the convolutions and contortions of thought (AND sentences!!) we have witnessed?? Oh, my
Dear, I would adore seeing what you consider as
pretentious! Maybe private, as I'm not sure how many others
share my enthusiasm for you. Make it good, won't you?

Thanks for the drink!

#9187 11/01/00 04:49 PM
of troy Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
I have to agree with Jackie.
I am a member of several museums, and libraries, and I go to theater
I am not a museumer, or a librarian, or any other group. I am me!

Why do we need a name for everyone? I thinks it's a way of shutting people out.

Okay all of you out there with reference books handy (I am at work, and supposed to be working, and its bad enough I am do this without going off and searching the web, getting distracted...) Please provide the author and corrections if needed--I learned this in grade school-- back in mumble mumble....

Heretic, rebel, lout
He drew a circle that shut us out.
But Love and I had the wit to win,
We drew a circle that brought him in!

I felt welcome when I first posted on this board, I don't want it to be filled with all sorts of jargon to make it hard for others to feel welcome. (I am not even sure I like Stranger/newbie/etc...) and can't get caught up in the idea of graduating. though I will admit of all of them I like stranger best..(stranger than what?)
our on screen names, pun and obscure reference are more than enough to distinguish us.

#9188 11/01/00 06:37 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
Why do we need a name for everyone? I thinks it's a way of shutting people out.

Ah, but I don't think that anyone is seriously suggesting that all who post here be called ayleurs, or anything else. I use ayleur for two main reasons. The first, and this is most important since it governs my choivce of language more than any other factor, is that I like the sound of it. It is aesthetically pleasing to me, and since I tend to speak what I type, I get to say a "pretty" word. The second reason is that using it demonstrates the truth of the phrase behind the acronym - you can indeed call us Anything You Like Except Unanimous. Think of all the fascinating highways and byways we have travelled during the course of the "who are we" discussion. The fact that some wordsters feel so strongly opposed to ayleur is great, because strongly held opinions, stated by such articulate, intelligent people, can but generate new threads. To paraphrase Tolkien:

"The Thread goes ever on and on
Down from the board where it began.
Now far ahead the thread has gone,
And I must follow, if I can,
Pursuing it on ayleur's feet,
Until it joins some larger way
Where many words and ideas meet.
And whither then? I cannot say.

#9189 11/01/00 08:22 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
max,

nicely stated; but this started out as a question as to how to address the group, and Jackie doesn't like to be called that word and Helen doesn't want to exclude anyone -- these are legitimate points. maybe we should resort to a simple "hey guys!" [for which see a very interesting piece at Maven's word of the day for Nov. 1]
http://www.randomhouse.com/wotd/

#9190 11/01/00 09:13 PM
of troy Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
thanks, tsuwm, I don't mind being one of the guys or even one of those word guys or even one of those wierd word guys. Being one of the guys has a nice sence of inclusion! How do get to be one of the guys-- why just read and post!

It might not work for the guys over the other side of the pond-- how do you all feel about being one of the guys?

#9191 11/01/00 09:22 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
I see your point tsuwm - the apology I intended should have been less oblique. I wanted to exp[lain that I use ayleur just for fun, and not as a label imposed on others against their will. If anybody feels that I have been calling them by an appellation they detest, I do apologise, as it was never my intent to offend anyone.
As to the "guy" link, it was a nice reminder of the different paths taken by Britain's former colonies - NZ still observes Guy Fawke's day. In fact, the sale of fireworks in NZ is only legal for a ten-day period ending on November 5. The history of "guy" very well known here, though probably less so now than formerly, as NZ distances itself from its colonial past. The only possible reason I can see for NZers to commemorate an attempt four hundred years ago to destroy the British Parliament would be a sort of surrogate wish fulfillment!

Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,322
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 771 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,535
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith